Polenta Fries - GF

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
2126693365_6281f5be53.jpg

http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/12/26/gf-oven-baked-polenta-fries-with-alio-oli/
Polenta Fries
Polenta is a snap to make the time comes from the cooling. So in fact, I made the polenta in the late afternoon and let it cool on the counter until we were about ready for a savory treat.

The recipe is fairly simple and more importantly, incredibly adaptable!
Consider adding the following to your polenta as it cooks to change the flavor:

1/2 cup of parmesan
one small tin of green chilies
2 Tablespoons chopped jalapeno
2 Tablespoons of fresh rosemary and sea salt
Chopped/minced sweet bell peppers (red for a color burst!)
Chopped/minced red onion
etc. limited only by your imagination!
Heres the basic recipe for the oven baked polenta fries. This polenta recipe makes a firm polenta that can even be put into a grill pan in the summer months (or less rainy days than what I encountered when I was making thisLOL). Grilling the fries adds a phenomenal smoky flavor too!

Firm Polenta
Ingredients:

2 cups water
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups medium ground corn meal (sometimes called Corn meal grits and a variety of other names)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt (*if your broth is salty, consider lessening this to taste)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
add whatever ingredient suits your fancy from the list above (be sure to add any cheeses to the END of the cooking)
Polenta Directions:

Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper.
In a medium saucepan, bring water, chicken broth, olive oil, and salt to a low simmer but do not boil.
Add the corn meal and pepper, stirring/whisking in until well blended.
Continue stirring until thickened 10 12 minutes, depending on the type/brand of polenta you have. Cooking times vary based on the coarseness of the grind, etc.
Pour the thickened polenta into the parchment paper lined pan and spread evenly.
Allow to cool completely before making fries.
Polenta Fries
Ingredients:

1 polenta recipe (see above)
sea salt & pepper to taste
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425F
Lift the parchment paper and polenta out of the pan and lay on a cutting board. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, slice the polenta into fries (3/4 inch strips wide, then divide into 3-4 inch long fries).
Transfer the cut fries onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Bake for 20 minutes and then flip and bake for an additional 12-18 minutes until golden. (The picture above shows some that are slightly overcooked to satisfy a craving for serious CRUNCH! by my family.)
Serve hot with a variety of dipping sauces BBQ, Ranch, Alio Oli, Sour Cream, herbed butter, etc.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That looks like a yummy recipe. I just bought GMO free seed, so I can grow my own corn for grinding into flour.
I will need to find a good deal on a grinder :rolleyes:

For now I am using the pop corn we grew. But I've only made corn bread with it once, since my immitation Vitamix broke down again :/

Latest posts