Poll on laundry soap

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used a handmade bar of soap (not sure exactly what was in it, honey something, it was a gift) and am wondering if that might be the reason. Also it has seperated after the fact, also normal?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Jumping in right in the middle here.

After my batch of liquid ran out, I decided to give dry a second change. I have been making my own laundry soap for about two years. Tried dry first, then liquid. The first dry I grated the soap too coarsely and it clumped. The liquid wasn't as efficient, so I used a rasp to grate the Zote this time.

The throw rug in front of my stove has not been getting clean with the liquid. I just washed it yesterday in the powder and every grease stain is gone. That has never happened before. I think i will stick with dry.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That makes me more interested in trying the dry, although I love the liquid. I've always had trouble with my washers not dissolving all the powder because I prefer to use cold water to wash most of the time.

Do you use cold?

I have a HE washer as well, front loader, what kind are you using the dry in?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Top loader. Although I have heard that people with HE just toss the powder in witht he clothes instead of using the, what's it called? The storage bin? LOL

I used cold today on my clothing, and it was fine. No clumping. It's the fineness of the rasp, I think. I grated it right into all the powders, and swished them around several times to make sure the shavings were all covered in powder.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been told by a few different ppl that you shouldn't use powdered detergent with a septic tank, anyone here have any experience with this?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Some "detergents" (commercial) can have a high phosphate level which can damage the micro flora in the septic tank that digests the sewage. Detergents are made with petroleum products. What we are discussing is homemade laundry SOAP - an entirely different thing. Soap (chemically a salt) is made using vegetable or animal fats as the base. Much safer and more environmentally friendly ... even to septic tank bacteria! ;) :D

Edited to say .... A good way to boost the micro flora in the septic tank is to flush a few tablespoons of regular bread yeast! Works great!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
question for all ya'll that make your own laundry soap - do you still buy and use bleach for your whites?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I do.

I use bleach for lots of things ... any time I need to really disinfect something and need more of a punch than ACV or straight salt scrub can do. Sometimes I add a little extra borax as well.