Poll on laundry soap

sune42

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Sune, have you tried it with the FelsNaptha soap instead of Zote? I've never used the Zote but my mother has and she didn't really like the results.

I've been using the liquid made from the FN and have never had an odor problem yet.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!!! :D :welcome
Thanks Beekissed.
I have not tried the Fels, I think I have seen it in stores around here, so perhaps I will give it a try. This is my recipe and I always used 2 tbls per load. I have a front loader and wash on cold 99.9% of the time and never had a problem with clumping.
2c borax
2c washing soda
2/3 bar grated Zote soap
Mix it all in a glass jar and use 1-2TBSP per load
I fill up the fabric softener spot with vinegar and let it go.

I do like the idea of giving it a whirl in the food processor and will do that when I try it again.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I agree with Beekissed, I'd try the Fels Naptha. I've used both soaps for the recipe, although my recipe is a little different than yours and I do the liquid.

We all enjoyed the fragrance of Zote, but I had more trouble with it clumping and clogging the soap intake portion of my washer. So we just had to put it inside on the clothes and it was fine, but I'm switching to Fels Naptha.

Fels Naptha has a little less fragrance, but the smell seems to linger more than the smell of Zote, which kind of goes away when you wash the clothes. Fels Naptha is lightly reminiscent of Dial soap. Zote smells more like Ivory soap.

I've also seen the recipe with Ivory soap used as the soap base instead of the other two and the person said they liked it (was that on this thread?) And people who make homemade soap use their scraps and pieces, so you can vary the soap to suit your fragrance needs!

Maybe you should try adding a little baking soda?

krzybo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have tried several of the recipes and have not found anything that will get out the "Georgia red clay" on my husbands jeans. I have a front loading machine and I don't think it cleans as well as the "old fashioned" top loading ones but we need it for the water usage (we are on a well). I have tried letting them soak in the detergent, adding extra borax or washing soda or Oxyclean. I think the powdered recipes work better than the liquid. Anyone else use something different for really dirty, greasy work clothes?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If your Georgia red clay is anything like what my son plays baseball on, the only thing I have found to work on it is good ole spray n wash.

fargosmom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned, or maybe I missed it, but I noticed something this year. Since we switched to using homemade laundry soap (we use the liquid version) I've had no major allergy problems this spring. It's really remarkable - I've always had hay fever, and during the spring the oak trees on our street pollinate, and for about 2-3 weeks I've usually been miserable. But this year I haven't had to use Claritin or anything else once!
So thanks to everyone for turning us on to this, and especially thanks to my dear BF for making the mix.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
YOU MUST NOT USE TOO MUCH but dawn dishwashing liquid on stains will sometimes remove a really tough stain. It will cause lots and lots of suds though so be careful to use only a very small amount directly on the stain. Or pre-soak it and rinse some of it out before putting it in your washer.
I don't know if it gets out Georgia clay.....but it is usually pretty handy at my house!

sune42

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok, I got Fels Naptha at the store today. How do y'all think this sounds?

1 bar Fels Naptha
2c borax
2c washing soda
1c baking soda
1c oxy clean (cause I have it)

We like the powder and I have never had problems with gunking, so I will try it this way. Y'all think this is a good formula?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is close to my recipe with added ingredients, except I use one cup of everything. I've never added oxyclean and I actually do the liquid formula because we prefer liquid.
I think that you should give it a whirl. I've seen so many different recipes, I don't think exact proportions are too critical.

I've noticed at my workplace where I do laundry for a veterinary clinic, oxyclean takes out color from stitching and logos and such. I'd be a little inclined not to use that product on general laundry, rather just add oxy clean to particular loads when needed.
I've also seen bleach added to these recipes and felt like why add that when you could just add it to a particular load? When I'm making laundry soap in bulk I want it to work for everything. But it depends on your needs......that is the beauty of making your own.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm intriged, I've read almost the entire thread and I have a few q's: has anyone using homemade soap had luck with scented soap turning into scented laundry soap? I read that using eo's doesn't really work...

Secondly, has anyone tried infusing their vinegar with herbs or eo's? I've done this with apple cider vinegar to use as a hair rinse and it smells lovely.

Latest posts