poor man's back up generator

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not trying to tell you how to run your business bro. But you might want to consider going with a larger diameter wire on those mains. It's apparent they got pretty hot. I see some brown behind and on the sides of them.
it's 6 awg on a 60 amp breaker, it's ok. some idiot had a 60 amp breaker in there running a welder with under sized wire. the breaker melted down and everything over heated. I don't know when it happend but that what I found when I opened it up. so i replaced the breakers that were melted and tightened up everything. of I have any more issues I'll replace the breaker box. it's tool small anyway. I want a bigger panel with more breakers, a bigger main (like 80 amps) and 3awg wire feeding it so I can run a welder maxed out and not trip the main.

but that's another day. for now I just put the welder on a 40 amp breaker and it should all be ok

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
it's 6 awg on a 60 amp breaker, it's ok. some idiot had a 60 amp breaker in there running a welder with under sized wire. the breaker melted down and everything over heated. I don't know when it happend but that what I found when I opened it up. so i replaced the breakers that were melted and tightened up everything. of I have any more issues I'll replace the breaker box. it's tool small anyway. I want a bigger panel with more breakers, a bigger main (like 80 amps) and 3awg wire feeding it so I can run a welder maxed out and not trip the main.

but that's another day. for now I just put the welder on a 40 amp breaker and it should all be ok

I'm glad that idiot wasn't you!

I've always went down 10 amp on 6/3 copper with ground to a 50 amp 220 breaker. I've not had a oven/stove throw a 50 amp breaker yet. Wife even had a turkey in the oven and all 4 burners going at the same time and didn't throw the breaker, amazingly...

When I went through the wiring here on the farm and switched out panel boxes. I found some really good deals on new mains, subs, and breakers on eBay.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You guys are speaking greek, but I'm pleased to see some good DIY electrical sense on this forum. Hubby is my DIY genius. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry, he does it all. I am super blessed. Our generator is similarly wired. He wired a receptacle in the shop to accept the plug, then, the power feeds back into the house. So when power goes out, he throws main breaker in house to disconnect from grid, then fires up the generator. When neighbor across the street gives a yell that power is back on, hubby reverses the sequence. I'm not strong enough to pull the cord to turn on the generator. Our generator will manage deep well water pump, oil furnace, lights, fridge and freezers. I don't run DW, clothes washer, Dryer when generator powered. It also does not provide consistent power for good computer management. But, we now have a lap top, so that's not as problematic. The only thing I have to add: Fire those generators up about 1x/mo. just to be sure they don't freeze up on you.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH invested in the high priced parts to hook our generator up to the house. Then decided we were moving back to WI, so we didn't install them into the house in WY. They made the move to WI but are still in the boxes in the woodshop.

He is thinking about asking a friend who is an electrician to come and hook us up, just to make sure it is done proper. The wiring in this old place is kinda sketchy, so we are hoping our friend will catch any previously done mistakes and can correct them. We haven't seen him for a while so we will also get to visit and DH will throw some ribs in the smoker and make a party out of.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a deep well and 30 head of livestock ... I called my co op to get correct size of gen I needed to be sure I could run the well pump. Then, had them install a piece of equipment on their meter base into which I can plug in my gen. They supplied correct plug-in cord for using. Paid Monthly fee for 3 yrs. While it can power house, not all things...like water heaters & oven & well at once, I just flip the breaker off for some. Also, bought gen with battery start, so I don't have to pull. It does start easily by pull, however. Never needed to use the system. Have used gen, starting at least once a month...for drill. ;)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not trying to tell you how to run your business bro. But you might want to consider going with a larger diameter wire on those mains. It's apparent they got pretty hot. I see some brown behind and on the sides of them.
here's the old breaker. I'm gonna say loose connection. seen it before with air-conditioners.
20210304_202927.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah. gonna make it a monthly routine to fire up the generator and power some stuff. just to keep it in good running order

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
here's the old breaker. I'm gonna say loose connection. seen it before with air-conditioners.
View attachment 15551
Yep I would agree with you on your assessment. Heavy loaded (high amperage) appliances need a firm, tight connection to the bus bar. A few times I've heard a buzz come from the panel box. Pulled the buzzing breaker, cleaned it's terminals and pinched them tight with needle nose pliers
View attachment 15551

I would tend to agree with your assessment. Loose or dirty contacts, maybe even not punched down all the way.