wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If this is a new occurrence, then it probably is not the valves, but check to make sure.
Are there any other fixtures connected to the waterlines between the bathroom and kitchen - ie. laundry room, mud room?

With it being the Hot and the Cold, it sounds like a problem with your faucet to me. Until the water gets to the faucet, it is 2 completely separate systems - so for both to be low pressure flow it would seem to be the junction of the 2 (ie. the faucet) that causing the problem.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We also think it is the faucet causing the low pressure, but @Lazy Gardener, thanks for the suggestion! We will certainly check that. We have not dealt with it all yet.
At the same time, we're having some issues with the water heater. We've got lots of medical stuff going on this week, but hopefully Saturday we can address both issues.
It's probably a waste of time to replace the faucet only to later flush the water heater. I'd like to do the water heater first, get the sediment issue addressed, and then deal with the faucet. We're getting so much sediment right now that I have to clean the shower head every time I take a shower.
It's an old house with plenty of things to fix (the wiring is SCARY!) But yes, @wyoDreamer, i am technically "in town" but we are at the very edge not only of the town but of the county. Our property was sold as multi-purpose and we are pretty unlimited to what we can have here, except for some reason, swine of any kind are outlawed. :hu Just a few lots down (toward "town") everything is commercial property. So we have city water, trash pickup, mail delivery but for all practical purposes, still live in the country. We can burn brush any time we want, and our roosters are not an issue. The back of our property is all wooded, and a small creek runs through between us and the road. Our chickens free range, and we planted an orchard, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, kiwi and a large garden. We also have grapes, black walnut, and pecans. We have stuff growing all over the property. We hope to add bees so we've been planting things so something is in bloom most of the year. And we're thinking of adding a few sheep.
The property is worth having to fix up the house. :D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If your going to drain the hot water heater and its electric. First shut off the breaker to kill the electric, then shut off the cold water (in) to the hot water heater, hook up a garden hose to the drain and run to a low spot out doors. Slowly open the pressure release valve (it usually has a length of PVC pipe that runs down the side of the hot water heater, you usually get a little less than 5 gallons of hot water out of the pressure release valve so plan to catch it in a bucket, then open the drain valve all the way and drain out all the water.

To fill the hot water heater again just do the above in reverse order. But wait to turn the electrical back on until the hot water heater is fully full of water. If not, you'll blow the heater coils out of the hot water heater and they can be a real pain to replace. It helps to open up all the hot water faucets while filling the water heater back up because you'll get a lot of air in the pipes. once the faucets stop burping air turn them off and wait a several minutes to turn the electrical back on to the hot water heater just to be safe.

I don't like plumbing at all and my wife hates it when something goes wrong with plumbing in the house. Because I shout out lots of choice sailor words. I always get it fixed, I'm just not pleasant to be around.

There's three things you need to know if your a plumber.
Hot goes on the left
**** flows down hill
And you get paid on Friday's

Last edited:

Latest posts