Portobellos

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I got some great big beauties from a woman who grows them near me. Does anyone have an especially good way to use these? I have a good soup recipe, but it seems a shame to lose it in a multi-ingredient soup...

I will post also on TEG... Thanks!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am a portabella maniac. Love them and they are one of the top best items to eat. Packed with good stuff!

if they are larger you can grill them on the grill and eat just like a hamburger. delish

I sautee mine. Just cut in half or so and add a little olive oil and butter and YUMMO! I eat as a side dish over meat sometimes etc.

I am like you, I don't like to hide my mushrooms. I want the taste and I love them.

Also making a real cream of mushroom soup is delish also. Big chunks, not like manufactured stuff in the can.

enjoy them and I am jealous! :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thanks, farmerchick! I will do the sauteing. It seems like often the best way to use a really good ingredient is also the simplest way :) I know they are a special treat, so I don't want to ruin them! I've used shiitake, baby bellas and morels, but I was a bit afraid to butcher these great big bellas!

By the way, does anybody know for certain the correct spelling--is it portobello, portabello or portobella? I could not even find it in my Websters!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got some great big beauties from a woman who grows them near me.
What a treat!!! They are more expensive than meat. Between $4-5/pound. We grill them for burgers, too.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I can get portabellas and cremini (baby bellas) in my Misfit Market box. DS5 needs some exposure to mushrooms. He says he doesnt like them, but hasnt tried them enough times or ways for a kid to decide.

What's your favorite way to eat them?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's no wrong way to eat a mushroom is there? I've been getting beech mushrooms in my Imperfect foods box and we love, love, love them. But we love portabellas also. I agree with FJ - stuffed w/crabmeat or shrimp is awesome. We like 'em with sausage and cream cheese and jalapenos as well.

Latest posts