Possible broken leg on guinea hen

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I work nights on Friday and Saturday only, so I have more time at home. Well, its Monday and time for me to do a good job. So I find one of my 2 guinea hens hobbling. She was able to reach the feed I put, but I can tell she isn't right. I have text my 2 older kids to find out if something bad happened in their stall. Waiting for a response. So her left leg joints are both swollen, but no cuts and all seems to be mostly in line. So I have wrapped her in my apron, so she is immobile and closed it with a clothes pin and I have saturated a papertowel with comfrey tincture to help if its a hairline fracture. Not sure if I can immobilize the joints or splint them. Maybe with tissue and duct tape. I could just give her a smaller space and make sure she has what she needs to survive, at close proximity. I can just kill her, but I only have 2 hens and one single keet, which isn't yet sexed, that I am raising with other chicks and skeets.
Honest opinions appreciated.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think you have a good start there. I would keep her confined and let her out for a few minutes a day while you clean out her cage/pen, but in a small area where she can't try to fly or run. The comfrey is a good idea.
Bird heal pretty well when given a chance.