Possum Living

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone read Possum Living, by Dolly Freed? I found it at the library yesterday. Lots of tips about raising rabbits for meat, fishing, making ethanol, etc.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have! I found an online library several years ago and the title was too intriguing to pass up!

I think I saved the recipe for moonshine, too. :lol:

I can't say that I'd want to live like them, but it definitely was an interesting read. Didn't they live on something like $1400 a year?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Something like that. But they owned their house, which is an advantage that most people don't have. At least, not the people I know.

It seems like trading work for work. Either have a job and buy food or make your job growing food and figuring out how to make stuff cheap. I guess you just have decide which you like better. Personally, I wish I owned my house and could spend some time learning how to fish and tending the garden.

I liked the bit on moonshine. And there were some strategies for making "wet" fish taste better.

There's another good book like this, but less hillbilly, by MFK Fisher. That's centered on frugal cooking, whereas Freed discusses a good variety of topics.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I picked the book up with a 40% off coupon. I throughly enjoyed the read. We do some of the things, and will try others, but I am too concerned abou eating healthy to take too many shortcuts on that front. So raising, harvesting, preserving and prepping my food takes up a lot of time and is a lot more work, than if I had a 40 hr job. If I had a well payng job that I enjoyed, I could easily purchase good healthy food, where I live.

Some of things I just didn't agree with either.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read it also. eh, it was ok. not a way I would choose to live but hey, everyone does their own thing. did have some good info in it and was interesting to just how they did live.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Has anyone read Possum Living, by Dolly Freed? I found it at the library yesterday. Lots of tips about raising rabbits for meat, fishing, making ethanol, etc.
Found it online. Loved it! It might be on the side of idealizing the lifestyle, but I liked the story and point of view.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bought it , read it, dreamed about it, and trying to live close to it but not that extreame. Love the stories. Candles all about the candles

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The references to long pig freaked me out. No cannibalism for me, thanks. I know it was said in a tongue in cheek way, but yikes.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I just finished the book. I liked it alot! What an interesting viewpoint, especially when she gives the perspective first of an 18-year-old and then later as an older person. It gave me lots of food for thought!

I'm glad I downloaded it!