Possum Living

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
although I don't need to see a doctor very ofter, she makes me come in at least once a year or I won't get my meds refilled. I don't usually need a dentist either, but the dental hygienist is another matter. Some people (and animals) grow plaque and tartar faster than others. I'm one of those. Chronic problems with borderline gum disease, no matter what I do. On the other hand, DH brushes his teeth but never flosses- and he has no issues, grrr.

Wow, reading about your prop taxes makes me more grateful than ever for my tiny house and little bit of land-- our taxes run about 850 a year.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always had regular cleanings and checkups. My teeth just kicked the bucket, one at a time. Years ago, I had a dentist ask if I'd been in a car accident or something where I hit my mouth on something hard. uh..no.... He said he could tell by the dark area around the root tips that I'd end up losing them in time. Maybe he was psychic, I dunno. But he was right. Just a few days ago, I had the remainder of my top teeth pulled and now I'm sporting a brand new, full upper plate! wahoo! I was just one step short of miserable a couple days ago, but I think I'll live today.

I sure hated seeing that $2500 worth of bridgework hit the recycle box, though. And I did report one dentist to Angie's list. I ended up losing three teeth due to that butthead - you know, you put your trust and dental health in a professional's hands, and they just do a half a$$ job?. Oh, I could go on and on, but no sense of that. 'Nuff said.

Britesea, I know where you're coming from. DH just brushes, never flosses, never has had any trouble with his teeth. Where's my gun.........

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got DH to order it on Kindle. We both read it. What floored me was the age she was when she wrote it and that she was pretty much self-educated since puberty. Very strong arguement for homeschooling, don't you think? I got a few interesting ideas from their lifestyle that I had never caught onto; such as putting a barrel in a water way to attract fish in the offseason....they will think they found a cave and a few other ideas. I already get my clothes in a similar fashion as her, but some of my children don't care for the idea much. Why on Earth would I spend 15 to 20 bucks on a blouse when I can get one for .25? I wouldn't be afraid to take the plunge and get rid of some of the modern technology my family enjoys to decrease my bills. I will if I have to; or even if I don't if things get tight.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I got DH to order it on Kindle. We both read it. What floored me was the age she was when she wrote it and that she was pretty much self-educated since puberty. Very strong arguement for homeschooling, don't you think?
Well, I think the writing is poor. But it's part of the charm.

Also, she got the still hooked up backwards. In a heat exchanger, the extreme temperatures should start at the same end for maximal heat transfer.

A little more edjamacation never hurts! (More debt, on the other hand, usually doesn't help.)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the charm and she really had a great way of holding attention, but considering her age at the time of writting the book, I'd have to disagree that it wasn't well written. I don't know many young highschool graduates who could have produced such a work. I'm sure if she wrote it today, having gotten her GED and some college behind her @ this point, that it would be an improvement, but really I was trying to say that someone who searches out and learns what they need to know or want to know, will learn more than someone will in a group of 30, who have to pass a test on something that they can care less about. Only on a few topics did she really seem a teenager. Otherwise she spoke as a seasoned veteran regarding extreme frugal living, and did it in a way to completely justify her reasons.

Want Less

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Its one of my favorite all time books. While we dont live that extreme, its a good reminder than people can be quite resourceful if they just put their mind to it... and happiness can be found in the simplest places if you just look for it.