Potatoes Yuck!

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have to buy my potatoes from the supermarket. I keep them in the bag in my pantry cupboard but they only last a week!
Are they already old before I get them or what? in no time at all they have either grown shoots all over or turned all soggy and drippy....
:barnie

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The last bag I bought from the store, the potatoes had obviously been cleaned/washed and they only lasted a week in my 50 root cellar.

My experience has been that dirty potatoes last longer in the pantry than potatoes that have been cleaned before storing.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
potatoes are stocked in cold warehouses in the fall after harvest. So you are buying last years.
Rather then the cupboard at room temp, they need to be in a much cooler area to keep the fresh.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OMG the smell of rotting potatos make me gag.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I worked in a grocery store's produce dept during HS and college.

I have a really sensitive nose for that smell. :sick I make the DW let me pick the produce from the store. Oh the things I learned. :th

Grow your own! :lol:

walkaboutjacks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh I SO want to grow my own! I am moving at the end of the year so don't really want to start much of a garden.
Guess I will keep them in the fridge from now on:rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
If they came in a plastic bag, put the potatoes into a milk crate or basket or bag that provides good air flow around the potatoes. When you transfer the potatoes from the plastic bag to the crate, check each one before to make sure it is in good condition. This should help them last longer. If any are questionable, don't put them into storage.