POV on PBS

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did anyone else watch Food Inc. on the POV segment on PBS today??? I am sure most of everyone here has seen it. This was my first time watching it,...enlightening to say the least. :D

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It was great,..I even made my DH and son set through it. I didn't think either one of them would give a hoot about the food industry,..but they surprised me. I think they both were shocked,..and now my son has become a Joel Salatin fan. :D He wants to farm when he gets older, Joel will be a good role model for him.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
SO and I watched it. Definitely enlightening. Now SO is more on the same page as I am. And yes he now knows who Joel Salatin is and is a fan!!
SO is into growing more of our own grain after watching Food Inc.
And I got to go and buy GMO free corn today :ya

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did. From a technical standpoint, I got really irritated and eventually bored with all the side bar episodes. Some of them had little relevance to the main topic. And having been in many meat plants (beef, chicken, turkey, hogs) in my long prior career in food purchasing, they were only highlighting the horrible aspects of the production.

This being said, I'm not surprised at the prevalance of corn in our diet. Corn and wheat have been a staple of many cultures of diets. Its just that the food engineers have created many ways to utilize the corn and its chemical components in our food supply. Scary? I don't think so, but its still a nudge to continue my effort to eat better, more off the land, join a CSA, grow more of my own, etc etc.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
It was great,..I even made my DH and son set through it. I didn't think either one of them would give a hoot about the food industry,..but they surprised me. I think they both were shocked,..and now my son has become a Joel Salatin fan. :D He wants to farm when he gets older, Joel will be a good role model for him.
This is so great to read. We live in the middle of farm country, and all the small farms are being swallowed-up by bigger farmers, as the older generation has no one interested taking over the family farm. I admire your son.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Up-the-Creek said:
This is so great to read. We live in the middle of farm country, and all the small farms are being swallowed-up by bigger farmers, as the older generation has no one interested taking over the family farm. I admire your son.
Vicki I let my son read this and you made him blush,..:D Thank you for that compliment.
The show didn't really impress me much per say, except the part about Monsanto. My dad, years ago, used to haul hogs from Indiana to Virginia for Gwaltny. Horrid place to see as a kid, but it made me realize real quick how our meat got to our tables. I believe people like Joel Salatin by catching attention by the media,.. I believe he is, and will be a good role model for many young and coming up farmers. The corn and soybean thing being in all of our food, well anyone would know that if they read a label on the food, or watched Oprah or Dr. Oz ;) . I think people have to take a responsible approach to their consuming the food. In the end we are responsible for ourselves, and that industry wouldn't be there if their products weren't in high demand. The thing about Monsanta is what ticked me off. Seeing how they are in control and monopolizing the whole soybean industry, and the farmers,..so sad. It isn't the first company, nor will it be the last I guess. It was an enlightening show,..and will be a real eye opener for many who have no clue. As a nation, hopefully in time, we will be able to change it all with our demand of healthier products. It took time to get where we are, and it will take time to fix it. :thumbsup

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
UTC, I understand what you're saying, but there really are millions upon millions of people in this country who just don't read labels - and those that do may not recognize corn products on the labels. The movie was preaching to the choir for me, but I'm glad it was shown, hopefully it opened a few more eyes up to what is wrong with our health today - it is very basic, it is our food supply. If the current administration (or any administration, for that matter, I'm just making a point) really wanted to 'fix health care' they'd start with the food, but that would upset too many applecarts full of money. It's so utterly frustrating.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
UTC, I understand what you're saying, but there really are millions upon millions of people in this country who just don't read labels - and those that do may not recognize corn products on the labels. The movie was preaching to the choir for me, but I'm glad it was shown, hopefully it opened a few more eyes up to what is wrong with our health today - it is very basic, it is our food supply. If the current administration (or any administration, for that matter, I'm just making a point) really wanted to 'fix health care' they'd start with the food, but that would upset too many applecarts full of money. It's so utterly frustrating.
My copy of the DVD has been passed around to four of my friends already, and now it's been on PBS - so maybe people are starting to take notice. :fl

If more people can take control of their food, and vote with their forks, healthcare won't need a big fix because there would be less demand for it, and less profit to be made.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I agree with you,.it is utterly fustrating. The politics of it all is what really made me go "WHAT?" I guess in our everyday lives we know things are going on, but we don't want to really acknowledge it. Then you see something like this and it just flusters you, the unfairness of it all. You would like to think that our country and our legal system is better than all of that.

Latest posts