Powder Homemade Laundry Soap

Brooke Kilby

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have added essential oils to homemade laundry soap recipes virtually the same as the ones above, and they have come through great for me.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this is a kinda old post... but.. a lot of people are saying that they put theirs in a gallon container. I bought a gallon container and it looks so empty!! Am I missing something?

I used 1 cup soda, 1 cup borax, and 1 grated Fels bar. Did I do something wrong?

Also... how much vinegar do you use for softener? We have a Reverse Osmosis system for our house so it's not hard. I'm seriously considering some vinegar with EO so we have that "smell good" Could you use vinegar with Lavender steeped in it?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
I know this is a kinda old post... but.. a lot of people are saying that they put theirs in a gallon container. I bought a gallon container and it looks so empty!! Am I missing something?

I used 1 cup soda, 1 cup borax, and 1 grated Fels bar. Did I do something wrong?

Also... how much vinegar do you use for softener? We have a Reverse Osmosis system for our house so it's not hard. I'm seriously considering some vinegar with EO so we have that "smell good" Could you use vinegar with Lavender steeped in it?
Using Vinegar for fabric softener, I have always (and my mother did it before me, so that is where I learned) just filled the fabric softerner cup completely with vinegar. Seems to work just fine.

I never thought about the hard water issue. I didn't realize just how hard our water is until recently. I might have to play around and see about adjusting things a little bit. We are on "city water" not well water, and somehow there is also a leak in the pipe somewhere that allows BROWN water in when it rains. It is disgusting, but there isn't anything that can be done about it. We don't drink the water anymore, but laundry is the last thing that is frustrating, because it will turn my whites all sorts of colors, even when I use the cold water. And forget hot water, unless it the load is something I just don't care about (don't care about the dog beds, they just better be clean!).
We're working on getting a filter that can handle just the washer, because this is terrible.

Latest posts