prairiegirl...ramblings from our little farm

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been wanting to start a journal here and have even gotten so far as to start it only to hit the delete button.
Please forgive me for not completing the "get to know you" questions. I just can't do it - I'm just not up to it.

Anyway.......

Here we are on our little farm. We left a new brick home and moved to this old farmhouse that was barely livable. It was one step away from that. The first months were spent doing major remodelling - a new kitchen and full bath, wiring, furnace/air/woodburner/ water heater, water softener, lighting, flooring, painting.........and we're not done. But, it's livable now and it's our home - a comfy warm home.
In our three years here, we've added a small Dexter herd, a few Holstein and Jersey steers, chickens, rabbits and pigs. We raise our own beef, chicken and now pork. We also handmilk and have our own milk, butter, cream, yogurt and some cheeses. Our chickens are giving us 2-4 eggs a day now. Oct and Nov we had to buy eggs. Yes, those eggs.LOL
We have a big garden and we can, freeze and dry as much as we are able. We have old apple, pear, plum and cherry trees we are trying to save. We also planted some apple, peach, pear trees and raspberries. We have enough grapes growing to provide for our needs.
I enjoy this life. I work along side my DH of 29 years. We work well together and share the same goals as far as living this simple way of life, providing for ourselves all that we can. And, we have a large family that shares our bounty.

Reading that makes it seem somewhat boring, but it's anything but that around here. Always something or someone or some animal causing chaos.LOL

We took our three little pigs to the butcher this past Tuesday. Our first attempt at raising pigs. So far so good - they were healthy and the target weight my DH had in mind. We aren't making money as the first we'll keep, the second is split between our DD and my parents and the third my BIL bought.
The night before we were taking them in we got a call from a farmer that had 2 bull calves for sale. He was only 5 miles from the butcher and we had the trailer anyway, so they came home with us. They were a good price, too. We figured it was meant to be because everything worked out.
We brought the new calves home on my final day of milking. So, now I've traded hand milking for bottle feeding - and here I thought I was getting a 2 mon. break.
We've drank the last of our fresh milk and I really miss it. At least we have a good supply of butter in the freezer.

We really need to get back into a regular routine. Especially in eating healthier. We haven't been eating enough fruits and veggies and some nights meals are "whatever." I haven't baked bread in over a week. Store bread and store milk - DH doesn't like it.LOL
So, I started today. Made sure we had some fruit and veggies.
I tried a new recipe for supper. Swiss Steak served over rice with green beans. We did have a cinnamon roll for dessert. They were left from brunch yesterday.

I've rambled on enough........

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow prariegirl! You are living my dream life. I know what you mean about the eggs, I've had to buy a couple dozen this winter. My chickens completely stopped laying early in November.

The whole fruit/veggies thing is hard in the winter isn't it? We need to get better about it too :)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Prairiegirl - your life sounds anything but boring. Sounds like a lot of work. But good work that makes for strong minds and bodys.

And the kind of life I wish I could have.

I sure wish you guys all lived closer to me. My hens have not slacked up. I ended up throwing out 3 doz eggs a few weeks ago. I sold what I could, gave away to neighbors as many as they would take, used as many as we could and still ended up throwing some away. (that was a first but because of back to back illnesses in this house they just stacked up for weeks.) But I always have more than I can use.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey prariegirl
good to see your journal. I love writing in mine. fun to just type about what is happening.

yup, you sure are a busy gal.

leaving a new brick home for the farm life with so much remodel and all....whew....you took on a life project didn't you!!! COOL

Have you gotten your pork back yet? Have you eaten your meat yet?

I have a 200 lb. hog with a hernia problem. processing him for me this week. Into the freezer he goes. Can't wait to get the pork tenderloin and eat it up! YUMMO

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
prairiegirl said:
I've been wanting to start a journal here and have even gotten so far as to start it only to hit the delete button.
Please forgive me for not completing the "get to know you" questions. I just can't do it - I'm just not up to it.
PG, I write my journal in a document on my 'puter. Then I copy and paste it into my journal when I get a chance. That way, my thoughts are more cohesive and my spelling is much better. :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Ramble away!! I love hear about what others are doing....because I really want to have a small farm and I am trying to learn all I can before I start a small farm.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
Prairiegirl - your life sounds anything but boring. Sounds like a lot of work. But good work that makes for strong minds and bodys.

And the kind of life I wish I could have.

I sure wish you guys all lived closer to me. My hens have not slacked up. I ended up throwing out 3 doz eggs a few weeks ago. I sold what I could, gave away to neighbors as many as they would take, used as many as we could and still ended up throwing some away. (that was a first but because of back to back illnesses in this house they just stacked up for weeks.) But I always have more than I can use.
Why did you throw them away? I regularly hard boil extra dozens that I cannot pawn off on our neighbors. I have the kids cut them up, throw them in the microwave to warm and give the chickens the warm mash treat. They Love it and scramble to get the most.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep....livin' the life we all want, prairie! Not boring at all! We are literally gonna pick yer brains on your Dexter cattle, your butter and cheese making and all the other things you listed!!! :D

Feel free to post instructional threads about your dairying and any other aspects of your country living. We are like thirsty little plants.... :drool :)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yep....livin' the life we all want, prairie! Not boring at all! We are literally gonna pick yer brains on your Dexter cattle, your butter and cheese making and all the other things you listed!!! :D

Feel free to post instructional threads about your dairying and any other aspects of your country living. We are like thirsty little plants.... :drool :)
DITTO everything BEE said!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with the others....post away! I was thinking...I get more goats milk than I can drink...so, you have a recipe..instructions on cheese? Is it easy?