1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Container Grown Potatoes?- Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Praise for the Monkey Wrench!

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Joel_BC, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jan 5, 2016
    Joel_BC

Joel_BC Super Self-Sufficient

I feel like extolling the virtues of a monkey wrench. I tend to believe that the best ones were made before 1950. There was a wide variety of them made between the mid 19th century and mid 20th. Some have lovely hardwood handles. Monkey wrenches can often still be found in second-hand stores… sure, sometimes maybe needing a good cleaning or de-rusting. Apart from exquisite specimens being sold at “collector’s prices,” you can usually acquire one for $10 or less.

They tend to be heavy-duty hand tools, and all the good ones have comfortable handles. They get a good solid grip on bolt heads (hex or square), or nuts. They adjust easily. Any of the common sizeable wrenches offer good leverage. In use, they feel very solid.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

As one used-tool sales guy pointed out to me, the classic monkey wrench has a flat back surface that in a pinch can be used as a hammer - such as when you don’t want to switch tools, but feel the need to bang something.

I bought mine because I’d seen a blacksmith using one. In terms of my own usage, the usual purpose of the wrench is to bend or twist flat-bar or square-rod steel that I’ve heated to yellow hot with a torch. With a careful pre-adjustment of the wrench, it works great for that.

Now here’s another use: Lets say you’ve got the usual homestead or garage shop, with a substantial vise of the mechanic’s or metal-worker’s sort fastened to your bench. But you also need a different vise for the occasional finer work with smaller parts. You need a small-jawed vise? Voilà!
    Monkey Wrench 02.JPG

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    sumi likes this.
  2. Jan 6, 2016
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

It was originally named for the fellow that invented it- Moncke; but Moncke's Wrench eventually turned into Monkey Wrench