Prawns net profit for flood-hit Bangladesh rice farmers

Farmer31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Rabbit is good idea but extreme whether make them unfeasible some times . And it is not traditionally raised in South Asia
Beekissed said:
Where there is a will...and a hungry belly...there is a way.

I've often wondered why those who live in areas where they cannot have chickens, and the noise of keeping them gets them into trouble, don't just keep rabbits. Not a one will crow, predators usually cannot reach them when cages are suspended and built well, they breed like...well....rabbits and provide a good amount of lean, fresh meat for a family. Their waste is excellent for the garden and can often be sold to others by the feed bag full. They can be processed quietly in the garage and no one need be the wiser.

Just one way of getting around the constrictions of where you live and how it influences your ability to make do for your family.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wonder how feasible it would be to raise some for personal use around here.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:

I've often wondered why those who live in areas where they cannot have chickens, and the noise of keeping them gets them into trouble, don't just keep rabbits. Not a one will crow, predators usually cannot reach them when cages are suspended and built well, they breed like...well....rabbits and provide a good amount of lean, fresh meat for a family. Their waste is excellent for the garden and can often be sold to others by the feed bag full. They can be processed quietly in the garage and no one need be the wiser.

Just one way of getting around the constrictions of where you live and how it influences your ability to make do for your family.
Good points! If they would produce eggs I would switch. BYB anyone?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
so raise guinea pigs. I seriously doubt there are any regulations about them. Their cage space needs are even smaller than rabbits. My MIL had over 500 of them in a shed the size of a garage (she was raising them for show, but we did eat the culls).
Are MINK good to eat?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never heard that carnivores of any type, including mink, taste good- though I'm sure they are edible. Omnivores, like pig, bear, dog, and even human (don't jump on me about it- but remember it's called 'long pig') can be tasty depending on their diet and most herbivores are tasty.

I've never had squirrel, but I've been told that the taste is similar to cuy (guinea pig meat).

Another good thing about raising guinea pigs is- they don't burrow and they can't climb or jump very high. Incan houses used to have high door sills, about 6-8" high, and archeologists wondered why at first. They figured out it was because the Incans let guinea pigs run around inside their houses and the tall door sill prevented the pigs from escaping out the front door. At dinner time, just reach down and grab a passing piggie.

I would be raising guinea pigs myself, but after years of exposure to them because of his mother, DH developed an allergy to rodents. I can always tell if there's a mouse in the house because he starts sneezing more.

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmmm, I wonder if you could raise prawns on a small scale, for personal use. It probably wouldnt be real cost effective but might taste yummy. Raise a bunch and freeze them. Wonder what the smallest pond you could use would be. I guess with the right filtration any size really. Hmmm....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
~gd said:
Beekissed said:

Good points! If they would produce eggs I would switch. BYB anyone?
Catch that Easter Bunny and you have the best of both worlds! :D

Latest posts