Precious Metal Clay

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Has anyone worked with Precious Metal Clay?
There is a class offered locally that looks fun. This is a jewelry class.
All I know is that when the PMC is heated the binder melts and leaves the precious metal in the sculpted form. Pros, cons?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I looked into it at one point, since I like to make jewelry, but ended up not investing, as I didn't know anyone who had a kiln so I would've had to buy my own. I already do a lot with pearls and 14k clasps, so that is enough investment for me, besides all the semi-precious beads I have....darn those gem shows!

It is VERY cool! You can do so many things and make unique pieces that you will never see anywhere else.

I would probably not make rings, though, because it will not be as strong and it may break.

But pendants, earrings, pins.....yeah, baby! Especially if you just have to buy the clay, and can use the kiln in the class. I say go for it and have some fun with a new creative outlet.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I looked into it at one point, since I like to make jewelry, but ended up not investing, as I didn't know anyone who had a kiln so I would've had to buy my own. I already do a lot with pearls and 14k clasps, so that is enough investment for me, besides all the semi-precious beads I have....darn those gem shows!

It is VERY cool! You can do so many things and make unique pieces that you will never see anywhere else.

I would probably not make rings, though, because it will not be as strong and it may break.

But pendants, earrings, pins.....yeah, baby! Especially if you just have to buy the clay, and can use the kiln in the class. I say go for it and have some fun with a new creative outlet.
Thanks for the feedback. They are doing a pendant and earrings for the class. I don't wear pendants so I would try for extra earrings instead.
I hope that we can make our own molds. I'm waiting on a return call to get more details and ask questions.

mythkat

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Because the binder melts away the finished piece will be approximately 25% smaller than the original. Just account for shinkage and you should be fine. Have fun:lol: