pregnant on the farm

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that once you get past the first trimester, you will get your energy back, and feel fine. The more active you stay, the better off you and baby will be. I agree, however, with Rebbetzen, that your center of gravity will be a little off, and so will your sense of balance. So no climbing ladders and such, once that tummy starts throwing you off balance.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Lots of effective, homemade safe/green products you can use in the garden.

If anyone is spraying nasty stuff or anything, hang out in the house. Cleaning coop/pens, wear a good paper respirator (not just cheapo dust mask). Lots of women had healthy babies while living on the farm.
as far as i know babies have been born on farms for thousands of years , just saying;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is true. But, caution is a great thing. My ex's family are all farmers - cotton, beans, grass... When two children in the same family contracted cancer and died before reaching 10 years old - they started wondering if maybe, just maybe it was related to all the chemicals - and guess what... it very likely was. So very sad.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
This is true. But, caution is a great thing. My ex's family are all farmers - cotton, beans, grass... When two children in the same family contracted cancer and died before reaching 10 years old - they started wondering if maybe, just maybe it was related to all the chemicals - and guess what... it very likely was. So very sad.
you make a good point, i know some people want to put chemicals on everything
yes there are times when you may have little choice
but other times there are other things out there that will still get the job done without harming you or yours.

take care all

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to tell you- a few weeks ago, I fell out of the hen house and thought of ya'll.... after I stopped crying and swearing, that is. Our hen house is about 4 ft off the ground and I wasn't being careful and I just shot right out of it- scratched all the way from my calves to my shoulders, but the baby is fine. Lost all the eggs I was carrying though:/ We figure if we ever need to tease this baby about anything, we'll just blame in on when mama fell out of the hen house. I told my doctor about it and he was quiet for a moment and said "so, you literally fell out of the hen house?" I guess he thought it was code for something.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ouch! I'm glad the baby is ok though. They are surprisingly well protected inside the belly like that... probably why we grow them that way.