Preparedness Items

kenandheidicorcran

Power Conserver
Reaction score

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sodium chlorite will disinfect water just as well and it can double as a powerful medicine for many types of infection.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
This is just FYI as I haven't tried this product...

The Costco Buckets have gotten some pretty bad reviews for the quality and taste of the food. There is even a class action lawsuit regarding their claims of its' nutritional value.

Below are some quotes from the lawsuit.

"If the contents of a bucket of Costco Emergency Food Supply Three month food supply for one person are consumed at 3 servings per day over a 91-2/3 day period as directed, a person would receive average daily nutrition of 455 calories, with 18 grams of protein."

"To put things in perspective, the Nazis provided concentration camp inmates at Auschwitz with a diet of 1,300 calories per day for light work prisoners and 1,700 calories for hard labor. The average prisoner at Auschwitz died of starvation within three months on this diet. Of the many millions murdered by the Nazis at Auschwitz, probably just as many died from the effects of starvation as perished in the infamous gas chambers. Costcos Emergency Food Supply Three month food supply for one person would therefore provide approximately one third the daily caloric intake of the starvation diet that the Nazis imposed at Auschwitz."

All that being said, even though it might not taste as well as some would like and it might not last as long as claimed (if you eat enough to sustain you), if the situation gets dire enough it would still be good to have on hand. There may be better solutions to food preparedness, though.

I just thought that I would post this in case anyone was thinking about making this a large part of their emergency preparations.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You are probably much better off with well-stored wheat berries. Still not nutritionally complete, but you could sprout some to increase the nutrient value...something you can't do with processed food kits.

Also, home canning and some cellar storage habits and home dehydrating will give you more nutrients, and if you rotate your stock constantly, you will be eating foods you and your family are used to. Seed saving and gardening skills. Foraging and wildcrafting, knowing what emergency foods are available in your area in each season and how to harvest and prepare them.

And you will develop skills that will be very useful should things get so dire that you need all that stored food. Dig your well before you are thirsty! :cool:

The most important preparedness item is knowlege and skill.....along with all the squirrelling we all seem to be doing here as a daily habit anyways! :p

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I buy things like powdered whole eggs and flavored TVP here: http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/

The prices are high, but I do most of my own dehydrating so I dont' need what they offer. Although freeze dried strawberries could become an obsession.