Preparing for a trip on the Appalachian Trail

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Have fun and come back and tell us all about it!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
The trip was a success! We hiked in Cherokee National Forest on Saturday, and saw a beautiful waterfall. The hike back up the mountain was rough. I need to lose about fifty pounds before I go back.

We were super prepared and ready for camping. That was seamless. You would've thought we were professionals. I did find a few things I could've done different.

I need to condense my first aid kit, and get some better camp cookware. Great trip though!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YaY! Sounds like ya had a good time and might even know what you should do differently next time. What an experience!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The trip was a success! We hiked in Cherokee National Forest on Saturday, and saw a beautiful waterfall. The hike back up the mountain was rough. I need to lose about fifty pounds before I go back.

We were super prepared and ready for camping. That was seamless. You would've thought we were professionals. I did find a few things I could've done different.

I need to condense my first aid kit, and get some better camp cookware. Great trip though!

There you go - that's what it's all about! Mountain hiking is hard period!

My son and I hiked the Mark Twain national Forest on the Ozark Trail (OT). The trail difficulty level said intermediate. Yeah right... With all the large fallen trees across the trail and having to go around them we actually had to crawl on our and and knees in some spots. One area had a large rock slide and the trail gave way. On the left was a shear cliff about 300' drop the right side was a wall of loose large boulders. We chose the wall of rock of course - it was a very dangerous sistuation to be in and it was a crazy hike... But it's something I'll never forget either.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Just go on that show on the Discovery channel, Naked and Afraid. They put two people out in the wilderness with no clothes, no shoes, and one item. People take their choice of a machete, fire starter, para cord, duct tape and other items. Then they basically starve for 21 days unless they quit. You would sure knock a hole in losing that fifty pounds!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nothing better than an actual run to evaluate what you need, don't need. What works and what doesn't.
That's great you had a good time too!!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My nephew and his bride hiked the entire Appalachian trail for their honeymoon last year from Georgia to Maine. My son leaves Tuesday to spend the summer hiking through Europe. After that he has plans to do the big three in the US. We've done a lot of smaller hikes, and just spent a week hiking smaller trails in Washington and Oregon.
I'm sooo glad you enjoyed the hike. The mountains really are beautiful this time of the year!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a picture my son took hiking in Oregon this week:
IMG952626.jpg

I'll be watching for pictures of the Appalachian trail. We're hoping to hike some of it later this year.