Preparing wood cook stove UPDATED with pic!

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember the brand, it's really uncommon name, I couldn't find ANY information on it online, nor anything that even looks like it. It was made 30 minutes from where I grew up (Arlington WA) and I cannot remember the name of the town.... Mount Vernon. Methinks... I'm too tired to think straight at the moment. Maybe it was Everette. Both are close. :p

Unfortunately it's also currently buried under 3 feet of snow so I can't run out and take pics. I do have pics of a big barrel type stove by the same company though. I'll look at those and see if I can remember.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What! No pork?!?! :lol: At least your priorities are straight when it comes to bacon grease!! :p

If you can find some lard, you can divide it up and put it in the freeze and you'll have it to season your stove many, many times.

Tallow would work, too, but you have to render that yourself from beef suet. It is worth the effort if you ever like to fry anything....it is the BEST!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Flax seed oil works very well too.

The problem with the paints, is they are so toxic, and its hard to get rid of the smell :sick

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK I guess I don't have pic's of the stove, and I cannot remember the name of the company.

ETA: Yay for not emptying the trash can. It is Washington Stove Works, Everett

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Welcome to SS, and good luck with your cookstove.I'll be getting one, someday..:)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
I'm trying to remember the brand, it's really uncommon name, I couldn't find ANY information on it online, nor anything that even looks like it. It was made 30 minutes from where I grew up (Arlington WA) and I cannot remember the name of the town.... Mount Vernon. Methinks... I'm too tired to think straight at the moment. Maybe it was Everette. Both are close. :p

Unfortunately it's also currently buried under 3 feet of snow so I can't run out and take pics. I do have pics of a big barrel type stove by the same company though. I'll look at those and see if I can remember.
I found several articles about the maker on google, sounds like you have a very well built stove and should last many more generations. You have been given plenty of information already I just wanted to say congrats and recommend a book that I have been reading on the subject that also includes natural blacking recipes. It offers insight into the wisdom of using and caring for the stove and gives directions for maintenance, proper fire starting, etc It's called woodstove cookery, at home on the range. http://www.amazon.com/Woodstove-Coo...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300117928&sr=1-1

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice stove! It appears that the top surface is meant to be cooked directly upon like a griddle. If so do not use any stove black. Stove black made by Rutland is high temperature wax with a black dye in it. You surly do not want to put that on a direct cooking surface. If it were mine I would use emery cloth to clean it very well and then apply very light coats of bacon drippings in several different times. And heat the stove each time just enough to make the bacon grease turn black without burning. I cooked on our wood cookstove out at our hunting cabin for 20 years. It had a section of the top surface to be used for direct cooking like a griddle. The pork grease was the only thing that created an excellent seasoned cooking surface. Unfortunately surface temperature in woodstove cooking is not as controllable as we are used to in gas or electric appliances. therefore you will undoubtedly scorch your seasoned surface from time to time so the seasoning chore will become "old hat" after a while. What ever you do keep stove black or any other stove polish away from cooking surfaces. Yuck!