Preppring for the new increase in various insurance...............

Reaction score
We just had open enrollment. My company is self insured for health care. BCBS of Illinois manages the plan for them. Our rates have stayed steady for 3 years now. My 2 teenage drivers are both living 100 miles away and don't have a car. So we were able to drop them from our policy. That's a 1000.00 a year drop.

I don't agree with that 2.5% charge. The reason being that as far as I can tell it doesn't give you coverage unless you are low income. If they're going to charge you then you should get something for it regardless. It also doesn't sound like they're doing much to get he health care premiums down which was supposed to be part of the plan anyway.

I agree about the economy dropping again. They are allowing Wall Street to do exactly what it was doing before. I believe there's a definition for insanity in there somewhere. Meanwhile the banks are all giving out bonuses from the bail out money. Crazy times. Still business as usual though.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with this thread, but Wifezilla that is a beautiful duck!!

I just got two Rouens and I am smitten! I wonder why I even have chickens (well, except for Ruby :love ). The drake doesn't crow and wake me up and they keep me laughing all day. Life is great when you are a duck. :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Taxes in it's many forms costs me more than anything else. Very irritating to watch some people who pay no taxes do so much better.
One of the things that make me the most angry is the idea that politicians seem to have about increasing taxes to make up "for what they lost in the recession." It's sort of like eternal childhood- no matter how stupid you are with your money, Mom will make it up."
Just the idea that a drop in revenue due to the recessesion doesn't clue them into the fact that the people they want to tax are not doing so well and now is not the time to stick it to them more. :rant

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
well, we don't have cable. don't get me wrong, I want cable, but it's just not on the top of my priority list. My mothers feels "so sorry for us, aren't you so bored??" She even suggested she buy directv for us for two years (since I swore I would not sign a contact, who knows where we'll be financially in two years) for Christmas. I just couldn't let her do that.

the move tv I have to watch, the more tv I watch!
We just bought a Roku for $80 online. This is a onetime buy with no monthly charges. It lets you stream Netflix instant movies, has Amazon VOD, MLB and soon Pandora internet radio and few other channels. They are also suppose to have a channel store coming this month.

If you already have Neflix and a good internet hookup this is the way to go. Netflix is like $9 a month so it isn't breaking the bank. Has some good old movies and past TV seasons.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we're also self employed.
Our state has a insure Oklahoma program called OEPIC.

It's basically a state insurance program for the working poor (us!)
It covers meds ($10, $20 & $30 tier), doctors ($20) , ER ($100) & hospital stays ($50 a day- 0 if we go thru ER and admitted). It's a HMO, but there is a long list of doctors to choose from and most of the state hospitals participate. We pay $68 a month. It doesn't cover dentists or eyes, but at least I know if something major happens, we're covered.

we've had it about 2 years and have been happy so far.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WZ you got it good then. you learned what it takes to maintain animals and survive without worrying about if the feed store will ever open again!
that is so important!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Just the idea that a drop in revenue due to the recessesion doesn't clue them into the fact that the people they want to tax are not doing so well and now is not the time to stick it to them more. :rant
that is the true problem

kill the middle class that makes up the majority of money to survive for the country. when that fails, guess what----oh my big trouble!!!!

and they are succeeding.

you can only cut the throat of the hand that feeds you so many times. usually once, but we seem to be cut many times over....and one cut will be too deep to recover

you are right!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
we're also self employed.
Our state has a insure Oklahoma program called OEPIC.

It's basically a state insurance program for the working poor (us!)
It covers meds ($10, $20 & $30 tier), doctors ($20) , ER ($100) & hospital stays ($50 a day- 0 if we go thru ER and admitted). It's a HMO, but there is a long list of doctors to choose from and most of the state hospitals participate. We pay $68 a month. It doesn't cover dentists or eyes, but at least I know if something major happens, we're covered.

we've had it about 2 years and have been happy so far.
that sounds like a great plan for you and very affordable!!!!!

Barb (my best friend who owns the dairy farm down the road)---I spoke with her today on the phone.....her insurance went from $801 to $867 per month and Rex (her hubby) went from $847 to $898 per month. They are close to closing down.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
It seems counterintuitive, but actually LOWERING taxes improves the economy. More people spend money, and the economy flourishes. By forcing people to pay for government spending by increasing their taxes, the entire economy suffers because people stop buying things and more people lose jobs as a result. No one asks us how our money should be spent, they just take it from us and throw it down the crapper.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
It seems counterintuitive, but actually LOWERING taxes improves the economy. More people spend money, and the economy flourishes. By forcing people to pay for government spending by increasing their taxes, the entire economy suffers because people stop buying things and more people lose jobs as a result. No one asks us how our money should be spent, they just take it from us and throw it down the crapper.
No, it doen't work. Wasn't that what the Bush adminstration was doing? Cut taxes for the rich and deregulate. Look what happened. Trickle down economics never works. In the end, it didn't work for Reagan or Bush.