Preschoolers?

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been going through my old pictures to post on yardshare,and I see a lot of activities that I did when the kids were young. I got books and textbooks from the library. A lot of things were hand on activites,and many were edible.

I would avoid paying for programs and spend that cash on supplies. I also took the kids to the local educational farms and gardens a lot.They even had fun at the petting zoos learning about,feeding, and touching all the animals.

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My youngsters were anxious to "school" during their preschool years, and I was hesitant to start "school." So we compromised... we did a very long unit study on the U.S. interstate system. We began walking -- we timed how long it took us to walk a mile (with their very short legs), then we kept time of how much we walked during a day during our everyday activities (mostly outdoor). After dark we would look at a U.S. map, and later our state's map, and we would mark how far we had walked that day, beginning at the eastern end of I-40, and we "walked westward" across the U.S. to the western end of I-40. We studied everything possible along the way, from history, geography, math, social studies, civics, language arts, etc. We just read, wrote, talked, watched neat shows, and browsed the internet.

I too think the basics of pre-K are to teach the child to actively listen to what's being said, to be able to follow two- or three-step instructions, to stand in line, to wait patiently, etc. -- perhaps this is a great time to instill morals and values as you see fit, *before* they are exposed to everything in public school.

If you prefer structure to a more laid-back approach, or if you'd just like an idea or two to get you started, I'll be happy to send you a few lesson plans I've made for other homeschooling parents.

Paula

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Because the Public School system here in Tucson is soooooooo horrible I made sure my kids could read before they went to school.

That was in the 1970's... and just this week on local talk show, they were discussing the lack of basic reading and math skills in the elementary schools here. Nothing has really changed. They pour in more tax dollars, and blame it on the parents for not being more involved.

The frist five years the brain is able to absorb information like a sponge.

How many of us remember the nursery rhymes we learned when we were preschoolers, yet can't remember things we did last week.

Those first five years are the most important for the development of a child's character and attitudes towards the world around him/her.

Learning should be FUN not WORK at that age. Learning letters, shapes and numbers by eating cookies and sandwiches cut in those shapes. Using music and songs that teach concepts like safety, cooperation, helpfulness, kindess, etc. are the things that will stick in their brains all their lives.

Latest posts