Preserving batteries

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read you could preserve the shelf-life of batteries by keeping them in the fridge...DH busted out laughing when he discovered my stash, saying it was an old wive's tale (didn't point out that I AM an old wife, but...) ;)

Any truth to it, or was I flim-flammed...?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know but I think I have been listening to the same old wives that you have.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
This was very true many years back but with the advent of new metal types don't need refrigeration but like many items require a moderate storage temperature ie 70-80F and can easily last 5+ years. I see no harm in keeping them in the fridge door as I did for decades.

One trick we did when winter camping is when batteries ran out we would put in a frying pan and lightly heat them for 30 minutes - you can do this with any dead carbon pile battery and it will run a radio or such for 10 minutes or so. Just use caution and keep them out of direct heat as you can rupture the case and make a mess if not injure yourself.

We kept many things in the fridge back then like; 35mm film, fishing worms, ex-wifes torso, and even a tin a beans once in a while.

Edit: to quantify "many years back" I meant about 3 decades ago.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
i_am2bz.....tell your hubby it ISN'T an old wives tale.

When I was in the military........on the Disaster Preparedness team... we had a fridge to keep all of our batteries in and I continue the practice to this day, and I ain't no old wife. ;)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you, from all you "old wives" out there, ya'll crack me up!! :lol:

I appreciate the reassurance...I got that bit of advice from James Wesley Rawles' "How to Survive TEOTWAWKI", & I'd be really disappointed if I got bum info from that book!!

(Wait'll I tell DH...hee hee)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
xpc said:
We kept many things in the fridge back then like; 35mm film, fishing worms, ex-wifes torso, and even a tin a beans once in a while.
Ummm one of those things should be stored in a basement freezer! (you need to watch more movies or TV!!!)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Ummm one of those things should be stored in a basement freezer! (you need to watch more movies or TV!!!)
I am from Milwaukee and Jeffrey Dahmer proved while living in an apartment you do not need a basement freezer for dreams to come true. He worked at Ambrosia chocolate factory and I repaired many electronic controllers from them at the time - it was weird finding out what he did after that.

He ate them just like Ed Gein did from middle Wisconsin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
xpc said:
Wildsky said:
I am from Milwaukee and Jeffrey Dahmer proved while living in an apartment you do not need a basement freezer for dreams to come true. He worked at Ambrosia chocolate factory and I repaired many electronic controllers from them at the time - it was weird finding out what he did after that.

He ate them just like Ed Gein did from middle Wisconsin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer
....tastes just like chicken........... :D :D :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What a coinkidink! I worked for an answering service in TX(!) years ago and answered for "Grace Cocoa". They were somehow tied in with ambrosia chocolate. My friends and I were so intrigued when we found out what JD did and that we may have even talked to him on the phone. (We didn't I'm sure, but we told people we did.)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
What a coinkidink! I worked for an answering service in TX(!) years ago and answered for "Grace Cocoa". They were somehow tied in with ambrosia chocolate. My friends and I were so intrigued when we found out what JD did and that we may have even talked to him on the phone. (We didn't I'm sure, but we told people we did.)
Ok, I guess its only fair - SCR8PN got a call and I should be next, after all we were practically neighbors back in the days.