Preserving pumpkins and winter squash

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'll pass on something I learned from a friend last year. By treating winter squash with a mild bleach-water solution, you can make them last until spring!

Use only your best squash. No bruises, cuts, holes. Dip it into a huge bucket filled with a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. Don't rinse. Simply let drip dry. Then, store in a cool, dark, dry place.

The bleach kills the micro-organisms on the outside of the squash that normally cause it to decay much more rapidly. I was pulling perfect squash from my cellar as late as March or April! This takes away the need to freeze, can or otherwise process them to preserve them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
How in the world did you find any perfect squash? :hu

My perfect ones are always subject to idle teen hands.....air-soft pellet holes, machete chops, etc. Why must boys destroy things? :( Trolls! :thun

Good tip, BTW! I will try this if I can keep my teens from destroying my lovely veggies! Hmmmmmm....maybe an electric fence.... :/

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My m-i-l does this with apples and I've seen it recommended for very green tomatoes you're going to try to keep as long as possible; never thought of doing it with storage squash though. Thanks!

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Boys!!! Can't tell you how many times I think "Where is your brain?!?" Asked my mom once when they outgrow obnoxiousness, and she pointed out the fact that my 2 grown brothers still are :eek:

Unfortunately, I had more succumb to squash borer than ever before, but there was such an enormous patch that many survived. Will the borers continue to get them--like should I pull the squash out ASAP? Or, is the damage likely already done?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You still have a garden??? :th My garden was gone long ago! Lucky you! :)

Can't tell you how many times I think "Where is your brain?!
Oh, kindred spirit! I use this one also: If you had two brain cells rubbing together in there, you would be dangerous! :mad:

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wonder if vinegar would do the same thing. I do not use bleach anymore(haven't for about 3 yrs now). But I will not ahve anything for another yr to try it on. Right now I have my peas & greenbeans getting started.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
My perfect ones are always subject to idle teen hands.....air-soft pellet holes, machete chops, etc. Why must boys destroy things? :( Trolls! :thun
/
LMBO! Were my kids over at your house visiting? :D