Pressure canners.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a question on canners that the directions aren't clear on. When you start and are venting the steam, is it an occasional stream or constant stream? My stove burner was on high but I never got a constant stream of steam. I processed the cans for 75 min like the directions said to and when I removed the lid the canner was almost out of water. Less than an inch left and I started with 3. All the lids sealed but I am not sure I did it right.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
I have a question on canners that the directions aren't clear on. When you start and are venting the steam, is it an occasional stream or constant stream? My stove burner was on high but I never got a constant stream of steam. I processed the cans for 75 min like the directions said to and when I removed the lid the canner was almost out of water. Less than an inch left and I started with 3. All the lids sealed but I am not sure I did it right.
Once you've put the jars in with the amount of water called for in the instructions, you put the lid on but not the weight and heat it up till the steam comes out in a constant stream for 10 minutes. Then you put the weight on and wait until the canner gets up to the appropriate pressure (on a dial gauge you just read the numbers, on a "rocker" you wait until it is rocking steadily). THEN you start timing.

I'm unclear from your description if you were looking for the steam before or after you put the weight on?

edit: even if the lids sealed, if you didn't process properly you could end up with botulism, so I wouldn't trust them if you aren't sure they were processed properly.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would check your gasket...I had something comparable happen...with my old presto...wouldn't heat up to pressure and I ended up opening it up just in time as there wasn.t water...
I ended up upgrading to an All american...and worth every dollar...
but just follow mollie's excellent directions...and you should be fine..:)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can order a new gasket from Presto if that's the problem--just google their website and give them a call :)

I did this for my Mom's late 1970s Presto last year and the new gasket kit came very quickly, cost was something like $12 to me here in Canada.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When steam is venting, it'll be audible---not a whistle, but it's a loud rushing sound. It's a relief to put the weight on.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
terri9630 said:
Once you've put the jars in with the amount of water called for in the instructions, you put the lid on but not the weight and heat it up till the steam comes out in a constant stream for 10 minutes. Then you put the weight on and wait until the canner gets up to the appropriate pressure (on a dial gauge you just read the numbers, on a "rocker" you wait until it is rocking steadily). THEN you start timing.

I'm unclear from your description if you were looking for the steam before or after you put the weight on?

edit: even if the lids sealed, if you didn't process properly you could end up with botulism, so I wouldn't trust them if you aren't sure they were processed properly.
I was looking for the steam before putting the weight on.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
cheepo said:
I would check your gasket...I had something comparable happen...with my old presto...wouldn't heat up to pressure and I ended up opening it up just in time as there wasn.t water...
I ended up upgrading to an All american...and worth every dollar...
but just follow mollie's excellent directions...and you should be fine..:)
I'll double check thegasket but it is brand new. There was no sign of moisture around the outer rim though.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
When steam is venting, it'll be audible---not a whistle, but it's a loud rushing sound. It's a relief to put the weight on.
I could hear and feel air coming out but never saw a steady stream of steam. Even after 30 min.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sometimes the steam is difficult to see, but if you put something dark behind it you can see it better. :)