Pressure canning book

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a good pressure canning recipe book. I have Ball's book of home canning but that is mostly water bath. It's pretty much permanently on my counter. I have a HUGE pressure canner but no recipes. Thanks

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
After you do up a few recipes from the Presto book, you will know the principles. Then the internet is really the best resource. And US!!! You can learn from our mistakes and successes. Ask away. Most of us with pressure canners have canned literally hundreds, if not thousands, of jars of goodies. And then there are the mushy peppers that dh pretended to like.... :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The only thing I've ever done in mine is stewed tomatoes. But, I'd love to be able to do soups, stews, etc. I hate to buy the canned stuff, and it's a pain to freeze it. (Well, not so much to freeze it as to thaw it out :/) So, I'll probably be asking for advice too when I'm ready to do some stuff too. I've asked on other sites, and never had much luck w/the responses I got. :(

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That sure won't happen here! We are a bunch of canning nerds who can type really, really fast! :p There are already a whole bunch of recipes and ideas here....have you done a search yet?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
freemotion said:
That sure won't happen here! We are a bunch of canning nerds who can type really, really fast! :p There are already a whole bunch of recipes and ideas here....have you done a search yet?
Not yet, I haven't had time, and I just found this site the other day. I'm looking forward to learning a lot on here!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:pop no worries sister, I'm a newbie too!

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ok so I just checked out both manuals and I'm still a little confused. I found cooking with the canner and a time table for pressure canning different veggies, meats, etc....but I was looking for recipes to pressure can set up like the ball book I guess. You know cook, pour into jars, can for x amount of time at x pressure. Or am I missing the point...can I can anything just as long as I use the preesure/time for item that has the longest time?? pH and all that don't matter???

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, that is correct. Use the time needed for the longest ingredient, pH doesn't matter. I find that recipes for soups and stews and such that do well in the crock pot for a long time also come out delicious as pressure canned foods. I don't cook them first, I just heat them through and hot pack them and pressure can. Yummy!