Pressure canning chicken

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just took some chicken (raw pack, pints) out of my pressure canner. 3 of the jars were boiling and 4 weren't. What would cause this? Is it something to be concerned about? In case you haven't guessed I just got this canner a few weeks ago and I am still learning how to use it.

Oh, I waited until I the canner was cool, removed the weight when it depressurized and set the jars on a rack to cool.

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No idea what causes that... but it happens every once in awhile when we can and he says he does't worry 'bout it. Still tings.:clap. Try taking band off and making certain it sealed. let us know how that goes....:pop

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always have jars still boiling when they come out of the pressure canner--it is nothing to be concerned about if you processed for the correct time/at the correct pressure for your altitude. Leave them for 24 hours, test the seals, remove the rings and wash the jars, and store somewhere cool and dry until you need them :)

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. I was more concerned about the ones that weren't boiling.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
If they were processed for the correct amount of time and sealed they are fine. Just wondering if they were sealed when you pulled them out of the canner?

Edited to ask - What kind of canner? Just being nosey.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
If they were processed for the correct amount of time and sealed they are fine. Just wondering if they were sealed when you pulled them out of the canner?

Edited to ask - What kind of canner? Just being nosey.
It's a Mirro 22qt. 5 sealed 2 didn't. They are in the frig waiting on me to figure out what to make with them.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made chicken alfredo last night with one of the cans that didn't seal. It was really good. I expected the chicken to be dry and over cooked since it spent 75min processing plus the 10 min venting plus the time it took to get up to "venting" temp and cool down. I was very surprised. Now I need to think of something to make with the other can that didn't seal.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Chicken enchiladas or chicken tacos! Or chicken noodle or veggie soup, of course! With the jar I just opened, I made a hot Buffalo Chicken Dip!

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My options are a bit limited. My stomach disagrees with spicy foods and the kids don't like anything they think is healthy. The kids I can work around, my stomach, not so much. It always gets the final say.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
snapshot....kick down on that recipe!! (sorry I hijacked your thread) Im reading up on the pressure canning cause I have never used one-only the water bath canner and Im scared!