Pressure Cooker Water Distiller

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On the other hand, as with most minerals, it is entirely possible to ingest a fatal overdose of the stuff... Happened to my MiL's 500+ guinea pigs once when the feed store gave us the wrong stuff (copper instead of Vitamin C... and the kid taking care of the animals didn't realize that blue is not a normal color for C). She lost nearly her entire herd.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Distillation will produce water that is about as pure as it gets. If you do everything right, it's as good as any laboratory-grade water. As long as it's going into a clean container, you won't have any microorganism issues. By "do everything right" I mean there are details that can matter. For example, don't over-fill the pot. Use boiling chips if you can. Otherwise, liquid will splash into the vent tube. Stuff like that.

I've always wondered about how much energy it takes to clean up water in different ways. Charcoal seems like the best but there is embodied energy in the material itself. RO seems good but you're running a pump...

Unless you have a rare condition, copper pipes won't be a problem [1]. There are a whole group of proteins that require copper to function. You need it to survive and you usually don't have to worry about it because your GI tract is looking out for you. The idea that it is responsible for stimulating the immune system, or any other general claim, is suspect. It's the usual superfood-evilfood debate. Wherever there's a superfood, there's an evilfood. Copper is neither. It is an essential nutrient and that is all.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson's_disease

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What you can learn about on SS........ great info!