Prices on Red Wheat???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone was paying for hard red wheat in their part of the world. Yesterday someone mentioned they had to travel to purchase it.

Anyways, I ordered myself a #50 lb bag today. My local health foods store was 59 cents per lb and 10% off if you buy the 50lb bag. So I am paying about 26 bucks. What do you think? I also got rolled oats at 59 cents per pound.

Just Wondering
:)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Check with the nearest LDS Church congregation and see if they have any orders going in for wheat. I think you will be able to get wheat for quite a bit less than that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I will be paying $50-60 with shipping all the way to MA. Whole foods has it for $.99 to $1.29 per lb, I think, but it is a hike for me, so I'm gonna go with the 50# bag shipped to me.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I wonder how much it would cost to ship from here. I'll send you a couple.

I figured out the price of the bucket... I got a food grade from Home Depot. I think 6.50
Then I use the Gamma seal lids, on sale 6.99
And I also purchased the mylar bags for less chance of bugs. That puts me at about 40 bucks stored and sealed. I think If I had found free buckets it would have a great deal. But no luck there.

be prepared has the pail with 45 lbs of wheat with a standard lid for 46.95. And that's before shipping. So I guess I am still on the good side.

I think next time I will buy each item as it goes on sale. Obviousally a better price. I really just needed to get my wheat now.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Wow, I wonder how much it would cost to ship from here. I'll send you a couple.
Would ya? :D I think shipping will bring the cost right up there. Shipping is crazy!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Azure has a 50lb bag of organic red for $29.75(.59/lb). Rolled oats range from $25.45 - $47.90 for 50lb bags depending on quick cook, organic or regular & steel cut.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Azure has a 50lb bag of organic red for $29.75(.59/lb). Rolled oats range from $25.45 - $47.90 for 50lb bags depending on quick cook, organic or regular & steel cut.
Just tried to order from their site and couldn't get shipping costs without putting in my payment info, which I am not gonna do until I know what price I will be paying! They have lots of great stuff, and great prices. I sent a couple e-mails to their contact links.

Has anyone from the East coast ordered from them?

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
All you need to do is request a free catalog. You don't need to put in payment info to get that. They ship them pretty quick too.