Pricing Dressed Rabbit

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
if you have chickens you could always tss the skulls to the hens, they will pick em clean of meat and "yicky stuff" then you finnish up with scrubbing and a bleach bath. good way to waste not/want not.

i have a freind who does that with his deer kills during hunting season, he puts the skull in the chicken pen, between the chickens and the flies, the things are cleaned up REALY quickly then if i remember right he soaks them in some combination of cleaning solution and then sun dries. ill see if i can find out what he uses for the soak.
The chickens, that's genius! Thanks pinkfox!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My pap runs a butcher shop at his house (well, it's a shop below the house, but still) and he actually has a dump pond way up in the woods. When they have a skull they want to keep, they put it NEAR the pond (instead of in it) and everything just eats it off. Chickens would be a great idea, the bugs would come in and lay eggs... The bugs, larvae and meat can all be eaten.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
im seeing rabbit MEAT selling in the PET market at $4-$7 a lb and in the human market at $5-$8 a lb

Id be VERY carefull selling processed/butchered meat unless your VERY familiar with your state laws and the people your selling to.
all it takes is one person to get sick from mishandling the meat and suddenly youve potentially got a world of trouble.

id say price wise your a good deal though for processed rabbit though :)
This isn't legal advice, but I think most problems with that sort of thing are due to factory type situations with uneducated workers and consumers who aren't thinking about where their food comes from. IMHO. For example, the lysteria infections that caused by standing water in a warehouse in which mellons were stored? [1]

My wife's grandfather sells fish commercially to whoever will drive up to the house. He cleans and freezes the fish and sells it out of 3 chest freezers. That's northern Lousiana, and it probably varies by state. On another note, I know someone in MN/IA who grows and sells mushrooms to consumers and restaurants. He throws them in a paper bag and sells them without cleaning or processing to avoid liability.

1. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm248103.htm

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On cleaning the skulls.......put them on an ant hill.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
baymule said:
On cleaning the skulls.......put them on an ant hill.
Thats what we used to do. Fire ants will clean a deer head up pretty quick. I watched fire ants, from a safe distance, build a new nest OVER a dead squirrel. I guess it was easier than moving the squirrel.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k1...i didnt men the OP woudl mishandle the meat ect...
i meant that humans are idiots and we live in a rather "sue happy" world these days, THEY mishandle their own meat and Blame the guy they bought it from rather than admit they were idiots.

the op has already read up on their state laws reguarding selling processed meat and is in legal coverage so no issues...

unfortunatly many people dont knwo thier laws and then dont understand why there getting in trouble for selling pies on the road side ect...so its always worth bringing up the "check to see if its actually legal" aspect of selling any kind of "processed goods".

Latest posts