primitive lamps

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay so i sent in an email to be on the TV show "the colony". now i know it is unlikely that i will get on the show. but lately i've been modivated (spelling?) to really learn stuff. i mean i'm always reading and looking stuff up but i've been actually trying this stuff.

so i made a lamp. i used a shell from the creek, a dried mullien leaf (commonly known here as toilet paper plant), and vegetable oil.
~pour some oil in the shell,
~cut a strip of mullien leaf for your wick,
~let the leaf soak up some oil,
~lay the leaf-wick along the shell (one end in the oil leaning up the side of the shell with a little hanging off the edge)
~light the leaf-wick (the part hanging off the edge)

my shells dont even hold 1/4 cup of oil and it burned for about 4.5 hours. the leaf-wick was about 1/2 inch long and about half as wide as a pencil eraser. but you have to keep putting a little oil in it or the wick will burn down real fast.

i'm going to make an atlatl soon.
anyone else make any primitive stuff like this?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dh just rented the 1st season of "the colony". He wanted to see how they survived and I wanted to learn how they made the gassifier.
Someone had posted this link, but I couldn't find the origional thread so I am just posting the link too.
http://www.primitiveways.com/index.html

I like the pine pitch fire thing they have.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I need to try that. It really sounds interesting. We have a ton of mullein growing in this area. I've also seen it called flannel leaf.

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ya, i've like memorized that website. lol! and there's worldwideflood.com

ya, the show is great. i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That is a great website. I am going to have to try some of those things out. A lot of it is about the peoples from where I live. My stepson is Pomo and Miwok. I have already done a lot of research. This site gives me so much more to work with.