Processed first Rooster

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Easier that what I thought, but I would like some tips on processing faster. How can I pluck at a reasonable rate? Axe or hatchet better?(I used a hatchet and it took several licks) What is your routine when slaughtering?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My dad puts them upside down in the cone (gallon plastic vinegar bottle cut) and feels the throat for the pulse, then cuts the carotid artery with a razor knife and they quietly bleed out..

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did you use boiling water for the plucking?

I don't know how to make it go faster than that. I keep a kettle of boiling water and pour it over each area as I'm plucking. The feathers release really easily.

I'm going to have to try a razor knife too. I have the same problem with a hatchet. :(

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congratulations!! The plastic bottle sounds like a good trick. I think I am going to try a traffic cone when I finally man up.

g

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I use one of those yellow exacto knives. for plucking, dip in hot, but not boiling water--I don't remember the temp right now-- for a few seconds and then pluck away. I have 6 roosters that need to go, and 9 old hens, but I am waiting for hubby to get my chicken plucker working. A friend gave us his old and I mean old, chicken plucker, but it needs a bit of work before I can use it.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We don't have a cone but we use a piece of conduit suspended between two boards and zip tie the feet together over the conduit so they hang. We do 6 at a time and lop the heads off with a really sharp hunting knife. Tried the jugular/carotid(sp?) artery thing and hated it.

My great granddaddy would pound two nails into a stump and place the head in between the two nails and pull gently by the feet and then hack the head off and stand back. That works too. :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score