Processing fleece for yarn

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Who here has a good website for taking a fresh fleece all the way through to yarn? I have 2 sources for free fleece I can't let it go to waste! Thanks

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Free fleece!!! Yowza! :clap

I am waiting for someone who posted a cl ad to get back from vacation and call me. So I, too, will be looking for info on how to process raw fleece.

I don't want to remove all the lanolin, I just want it to smell ok.....

:pop

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm interested too. I have rabbits for wool and have spun a little of their wool. Not enough to make anything. I've had my stash broken into and destroyed by dogs a few times.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
freemotion said:
I don't want to remove all the lanolin, I just want it to smell ok.....

:pop
Ohh, any input as to why? Natural waterproofing?
I've read that it is a lot softer and a bit waterproof. I just kinda like the idea....I like really rustic, handmade things.

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a Master Spinner, she took a 4 or 5 year course from Canada. She spins some fibers as is-such as Angora. But I did wash and card sheep fleece with her. She might have changed her technique, I have been busy and she has been very busy. What she did is take big sheets of the plastic canvas, sew an end together. Then lay a layer of wool one way, clamp or do any overhand stitch to close it tightly. She puts them in a tub to soak with a little Dawn and gently pats it down, then rinses. then she Put the canvas into the spin cycle of the washer and spins it out. Lay out and let dry. Then card. We both have hand carders and drum carders. Her kid Mohair/lambs wool with a bit of silk is to die for. So is the Angora combination. I haven't taken the time to practice, but really need to get back to it.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I like that barn to yarn website- it would be a great thing to have locally!

Just be sure when you wash the yarn that you don't accidentally felt it by rubbing it. ;) I tend to spin "in the grease" with the lanolin- it makes your hands feel great- and wash the yarn more once it is spun. That way if I accidentally felt it a bit, it is already in a useable form :D (no, I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination!)

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
abifae said:
I have a lot of friends who spin their own yarn and then weave their own fabric from it.

I know at least one takes it somewhere she trusts and they process it. The time involved is worth the money to just get it back ready to spin.

I found a super basic walk through for it though: Steps in Processing Fleece.

Not sure if this is average prices, but it sounds about what she pays, from last time I talked to her about it :) From Barn to Yarn .

Where do you live? My area has a VERY active medieval spinning group and several yarn groups that process their own material. It might be something to look on yahoo or google groups and see what is in your area.
Thanks for the link and info about renaissance groups I live almost 2 hours away from a Ren Fest but I can talk to them this summer.