Professional grade vacuum packer?

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We've burned through 2 regular foodsavers. The first one did a fair amount of work before it died, the second one lasted a few months at most. We're currently finishing out 2 hogs and have a goat and some fowl that are also going to be butchered. Some of the meat will be canned but most will be frozen. My husband's asked me to use my research-fu to find a better grade vacuum sealer for this amount of meat. He also wants something larger, like able to pack a longer package than the ten inches or so the regular ones do. I'd also love to use one for sleeping bags, bulkier things like that and don't want to burn a cheaper one out quickly. Anyone with experience with a higher grade? The good, the bad, the ugly?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
donrae said:
We've burned through 2 regular foodsavers. The first one did a fair amount of work before it died, the second one lasted a few months at most. We're currently finishing out 2 hogs and have a goat and some fowl that are also going to be butchered. Some of the meat will be canned but most will be frozen. My husband's asked me to use my research-fu to find a better grade vacuum sealer for this amount of meat. He also wants something larger, like able to pack a longer package than the ten inches or so the regular ones do. I'd also love to use one for sleeping bags, bulkier things like that and don't want to burn a cheaper one out quickly. Anyone with experience with a higher grade? The good, the bad, the ugly?
Msy I assume that it is the vacuum pump that is failing? Good cheap vacuum pumps are hard to find. even the ones used by pros take a lot of uskeep as water tends to condense in the oil with heavy use. One place to look is wood furniture makers as vacuum presses are much faster than hand clamps when gluing things together.