Project ideas needed for 6yo girls

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I was a girl scout leader for three years, loved it!

We spent 1/2 of every meeting singing girl scout songs and playing games like that song-game "Going to Kentucky". That always put everyone in a good mood and they loved their meetings because of that.

My co-leader always brought the craft stuff because I led the song and games, but a few that I remember for Christmas that we did:

1. Take sandpaper and a few cinnamon sticks, rub the sticks all over the sandpaper. Then cut out and decorate cute shapes from them, especially gingerbread men.

2. Take a picture of them and mount it in the middle of a Christmas tree or whatever and laminate, punch a hole in the top and thread yarn through...instant tree ornament! I still have mine of my daughter as a girl scout to hang on my tree even though she is 28.

3. The pine cone w/peanut butter idea...ditto to that!

4. After Christmas, we planted a donated live Christmas tree in front of our scout house.

Because our girls were good at singing, we learned a few Christmas carols besides Rudolph and went to a local nursing home to sing for the guests. This went over so well at the nursing home we did it every year. This also went under the category of doing a good deed and was a very Christian thing to do, despite our troop being children from different churches. If your girls don't have the voices for this, invite an older troop to join you.

The older troops usually really enjoy spending time with the little girls and if you team up with another leader, you can meet up a few times a year for projects that would be difficult for them without a one-on-one helper. This sometimes satisfies badge requirements for the older girls as well.

We could get together with our older troop and go caroling and then have a campfire and hot cocoa for everyone and their families.

Hope my ideas helped!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Just remembered the girls who meet at my school during lunch time made grocery bag gingerbread people the other day. It looked like the cut out the bodies, drew on faces and stitched around the outside edge with red yarn. Punched a hole at the top. They were really very cute!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Some may not agree, but 6 year olds are certainly capable of learning to cook simple things.
You can set up each girl with their own cookie station, where they each have their own ingredients measured out so they can copy you when you dump them in works very well.

You can make real cookies, and you can also make cookie ornaments this way.

I would be very tempted to work very hard on building up their ability to use their brains.
Very little is being done to do this today :hit

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
http://stampingimpressions.blogspot.com/2010/10/paper-strip-pumpkins.html

I just made these with the group at church. My 5 and 8 yo were able to do it at home. It is pretty cheap and it takes about 45 minutes to make. I used red and green paper and had the kids alternate them. I also left the string long on the top so they could hang it as an ornament. The kids enjoyed it!
If you do it make sure you try it at home so you have an idea of how the paper goes on. I also put little drops of glue at the top to help it keep its shape.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about polymer clay? It's pretty inexpensive (about a $1.25 a block, "Sculpey, "Fimo" brands). It comes in many colors, glitter versions and glow-in-the-dark. It's been one of the most successful crafts I've done with my kids at church. Anybody can play with clay. You can push it into molds, roll it out and use cookie cutters, sculpt by hand, or just about anything you can imagine. It bakes in your oven for about 15 minutes to result in a permanent, indestructable item. They could make ornaments, personalized gift tags or whatever.

Painting things made out of plaster of paris is also a good old standby, but will be more work for you, mixing and pouring the molds.

The polymer clay and molds for the plaster of paris can be found at any craft specialty store like Hobby Lobby, Michael's or Crafts2000 (depending where you live).

Beads are another favorite of mine. Cheap plastic beads and craft wire can be found at walmart. Make sparkly things to hang in the window or ornaments for the tree, keychains, necklaces/bracelets, etc. to give as gifts.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pre cut ornament shapes, circles, angels, wreathes, whatever out of poster board. Put a hole punch in the top.

Attach a ribbon

Write childs name on back

Have kids glue macaroni on it

Spray paint gold.

Viola.

Or

Take pics of each of the girls with a santa hat or reindeer ears. Cut out the photo and place inside an ornament. Let the girls add glitter before you cap it.

or

Pinecone bird feeders

Smear pinecones with peanut butter add birdseed

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
You guys are SO awesome!!! So many great ideas!
.....and that pumpkin is TO DIE FOR!

I'm putting this thread in my favorites so I can check here when I need more ideas. If you think of anything else that you've successfully done for any other holidays (or just days) please share!

I like how all the ideas were EASY.

Bubblingbrooks, I agree. I do want to have them bake something, but the Boy Scout troop has their meetings next to the kitchen, so I dismissed that idea. BUT I LOVE your idea of having them EACH do their OWN, and that made me actually use MY brain. The Boy Scouts camp once a month, so don't have a regular meeting that week. If I arrange it in advance, we should be able to get the kitchen with no problem. So, we will bake cookies, and it's all because of you. : )

I also want to have them sew something. My 6yo was able to sew 5 buttons onto a pice of felt the other day, and she'll be sewing up the sides to make 'bags' as Christmas gifts (I assume). If she can do it without skewering her eyeball, maybe the rest can, too.

The bird book suggestion made me laugh. We were in the Christmas Electric Light Parade tonight, and one of the Daisies said "There's a bat! I hate bats." My voice was toast, so I dismissed this, but mentally decided a visit from a Wildlife Refuge person might be a good idea. Then she said it again, and I saw the 'bat'. It was a nighthawk. Only 4 times bigger than our bats, and white and black. I told her it was a nighthawk and she didn't believe me. In hindsight, I should've told her she'd better start doing what her leader tells her to do or the bat will get her. (J/K... sort of... ok, not really... meant it 100%)

We don't have a forest to ramble around in, but we DO have some backyards we could loot. : ) I'm thinking re-gifting some potted plants and pool floats?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Take a large piece of construction paper. The color is going to depend on the season. For winter, I'd use blue. Now decorate it. If you're using the blue, have the girls make snowflakes. Then paste the decorations onto the construction paper. Cover w/clear contact paper on both sides, and you have a place mat. A smaller, round piece done the same way can be a coaster.

For Valentine's day, you can use white, then decorate it w/different color hearts, cupids, etc.

Spring, green and decorate it w/flowers.

Latest posts