1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plastic up the porch - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Propane gas generators?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Energy' started by sumi, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Oct 27, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

2. Oct 27, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

We have a propane generator but it isn't hooked up to anything, we're using our gas one. That's just because we don't feel like paying the gas company to come out. DH used to install generators but I know pretty much nothing about them. I'll ask him pros and cons and which he prefers.

sumi likes this.
  3. Oct 27, 2018
    sumi

Please do! I'm planning to buy a generator in future, when I'll start needing it more and the propane one looks good. I'm "funny" about gasoline, really don't like working with it, the smell etc. I'm happy if I can avoid it, but I want to be sure it's an all round better choice if I do.

4. Oct 27, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

He said go with propane. You won't have to do as much maintenance, it's cleaner and you can also use natural gas. He said in a SHTF situation he'd want diesel because you can make diesel, but for normal use go propane.

sumi likes this.
  5. Oct 28, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

You CAN make diesel but you need to be set up for it and have product available. Here gas is not dirt cheap and propane runs about the same per gal/# whatever measure they use. For me, having a tank of propane available would be "easier" as you don't use it up in the mower, etc. :rolleyes: Plus it does have a longer "shelf life". Mine is gas. Not sure about run time per quantity but, that is a consideration if you are having to leave it on full time for a few days. The use time/run time may/may not be better between the two for a given amount. :idunno You have to fill tank every 8-9 hrs on mine - depending on electrical use. Run times change slightly with lower load pull.

I am NO expert...fill it, start it, use it. :cool:

6. Oct 28, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I don't know much about generators but I can say I've worked on a couple of motors, propane/natural gas are a heck of a lot cleaner (inside and out) than gasoline or diesel. But I would also agree for SHTF i would want diesel. Since you can make diesel "fairly" easily. With gasoline, natural gas and propane your dependent on someone else to make or deliver to it you.

7. Oct 28, 2018
    sumi

Thanks! I think propane it will be then. MAKING diesel? I need to go look that up...

8. Oct 28, 2018
    sumi

€1.45 per litre for gas here. I think you still beat us! ;) I haven't bought propane in about 2 years, so I don't know how much it costs now, but it wasn't too dear last time I did.