Propane

sixoclock

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I live in an area where natural gas is not available to us. I'm thinking about installing propane for heating and cooling. Can I get some advice about this. Would you recommend it over electric HVAC.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a propane furnace and I don't like it. It sucks up the propane and if the electricity is out it doesn't work. We haven't used it in 5 yrs. We prefer the fire place during the day and oil filled radiators in the bed room at night.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have propane heat, stove and hot water here. Last house was electric hot water, propane heat and stove. When I lived in TN, my house was all electric (baseboard heat). I prefer gas over electric, whether it's propane or natural gas. The house in TN was expensive to heat, but it wasn't well insulated either. My number one preference is definitely wood for heat and hot water though.
Guess it's all in what you want/what works best for your purposes. :idunno

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
W/the exception of the wood stove, our house is all electric and I prefer it. But for me, it's a safety issue. Periodically, there's a story in the news about a house that caught on fire due to a gas leak, or an explosion caused by a gas leak, or a gas leak killing people.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We have propane here. A propane fireplace that does most of the winter heating, the electric seems to be colder. The stove it supposed to be propane, but a goof in the appliance purchase made that a problem :rolleyes: We like it though.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
W/the exception of the wood stove, our house is all electric and I prefer it. But for me, it's a safety issue. Periodically, there's a story in the news about a house that caught on fire due to a gas leak, or an explosion caused by a gas leak, or a gas leak killing people.
Yup, propane does have its drawbacks! Our first house was a total loss - the propane water heater shifted, caught the wall on fire and, by the time we got home 2 hours later, it had gutted our house :/ Whenever we buy a different house, my rule is: new water heater. DH's rule is: new toilet. :rolleyes: He is such a freak! :gig

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have found that propane went up drastically in the past few months. However, I don't like to be completely dependant on any one power source. Mostly I have power from electricity, with 2 back up generators....one whole house and a bare necessity generator. Then I heat with a potbelly stove, with gas heat if I came home to a freezing house and I'm in a rush to get it warm fast, but thats not often. Our wood is from mainly storm fallen trees and clean up jobs. I like to have a few things that run on propane to use outside. It keeps the house cooler if I can cook outside and its nice to know I can still cook if I have no gas, for whatever reason. Its good to have as backup, but it costs more than it used to. I wouldn't mind using my tanks to store methane, if DH would be willing to set up for it. He is concerned about safety.

Latest posts