Properly Cut and Store Firewood

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here is some info if anyone needs it....just basic how to and what tools are needed............before you burn it, you have to cut it!
Unless you buy it..HA HA

Cutting Your Own Firewood

By Chris Kick
With the rising cost of oil and natural gas, many homeowners are returning to a more economical source of fuelfirewood. After all, wood is a fairly abundant resource and can be as close to home as that tree in your backyard. Manufacturers of wood burning furnaces and fireplaces have also made firewood more attractable by developing more heat-efficient systems. But before you set out to cut that backyard tree or any other, there are some important steps to follow.

The Tools of the Trade
The single most useful tool used to cut firewood is the chainsaw. There are a few options to consider before making a purchase:

***********Here is the link to finish reading the article!

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infwoodburning/infcuttingfirewood.html

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Karen.:) We personally use two gas powered chain saws and one electric chain saw. We use an electric log splitter to split and can do a truck load of wood in four hours from start to finish. We just started burning wood this year and have had a really good time doing it. It can be dangerous work. The first few times we went out I made a fool out of myself. Walking in front of trees my dh was cutting down, falling into holes, stabbing myself with limbs. My hubby acts irritated but loves to bring me and the kids along for the entertainment value. He won't let me go alone because we have cougars around the area now. I like dogs myself. This one decision to have a woodstove has changed my life forever. I don't know why people ever changed to fossil fuel full time. It's good excercise, good family time and cooperation and saves a ton of money.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We buy tree length up in Maine, hubby has his Stihl chainsaw and a gas powered log splitter. We can trailer the splitter down to MA when we need it. I've got enough wood at both houses to heat for the next two years. Hubby loves his wood!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
When the saw becomes stuck you can drive a wedge over the bar, carefully. It doesn't have to go down much before it frees your bar.
I use a wedge a lot as I am cutting to prevent this in the first place.

I have yet to see a tree lay down ideally and wish there were more helpful illustrations that showed how to deal with the realities that I find every time I cut. Those hung up trees for instance. :he

I sharpen my chain with a Dremel Drill fitted with a chain sharpening stone. I tossed the file long ago, though ok if you run out of power.

I am a big Stihl fan! Nothing comes close and I've owned just about everything.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
sylvie said:
When the saw becomes stuck you can drive a wedge over the bar, carefully. It doesn't have to go down much before it frees your bar.
Plastic wedge, not a metal wedge. Watch the kerf, when it starts to close is the time to insert the wedge.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
May I recommend:
Safety equipment. I make Dh wear chainsaw chaps, steel toed boots and safety glasses. He grumbles, but obeys.
I don't have to make him wear any of that, he's been doing it for years. :thumbsup

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
sylvie said:
Plastic wedge, not a metal wedge. Watch the kerf, when it starts to close is the time to insert the wedge.
Absolutely!