Protect the future of gardening

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've always liked victory seeds and Johnny's. I see victory seeds is on the not affiliated with any GMO company list (good list) but i couldn't find any info on Johnny's.

This year I bought from baker creek (good list) out of dumb luck I guess qnd I did good.

As far as seed saving yes that's me and I have been for decades. I know I've grown the same variety of bush green beans for over 30 years. It was the very first plant my wife eat from.the garden the year following us getting married she loved it then and still does. We don't even know what kinds it is we call them sweet beans. As for.peppers and tomatoes. I bout all my seeds from.victory to try my crossing experiments. Victory has tons of OP both peppers and tomatoes to try from.

The only think I buy that is hybrid is honey -n.Pearl SH2 sweet corn. Everyone loves it and it stores well for us.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I also buy the "designer" corns.

My absolute favorite variety of bean is Fortex: a french filet pole. They produce abundantly, and the beans are never stringy, tender to 10 - 12" long. I've been saving those since they first came on the market. Every now and then, I'll try a new variety, but Fortex will never leave my garden.

For a nice edible "green manure" bean crop, I grow bush Blue Lake. I've saved seed from that as well.

Favorite cuke is Suyo Long. Those grow to 10" while remaining tender and sweet with out overgrown seeds.

When saving squash seed, you need to pay attention to the squash species you have growing in your garden. (Cucurbita maxima, C. moschata, and C. pepo) Generally, these will cross with themselves but will not cross with the others. For example: Buttercup (C. maxima) will not cross with Acorn (C. pepo). But, Buttercup will readily cross with Blue Hubbard, and Acorn will readily cross with zucchini or pumpkin.

So, to save squash seed that will MOST LIKELY breed true the following year, only grow one OP squash variety from a particular species, and hope that a wandering bee does not bring in pollen from your neighbor's garden. Otherwise, all bets are off as far as crosses go, though you could end up with some delightful crosses, OR some crazy stuff that will just feed your livestock.

Lettuce and dill are allowed to reseed in my garden. Kale is super easy to harvest seed from.

Garlic: if you want to increase your garlic "holdings" allow a few scapes to mature. The bulbils take a few years to produce full sized heads. Garlic has become a weed in my garden. So, I recommend placing those bulbils in a single small patch! Garlic is particularly useful to plant at the base of orchard trees to repel mice and voles. And, the bulbils from matured scapes are enjoyed by the chickens.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I save a little bit more seed each year. Never squash family though.

I left my garden to reseed itself. Starting no-till permanent beds. So curious what will happen in spring! I will be adding more. My vision is permanent beds, no-till, intensive planting, with herbs and clover living mulch.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'd love to see you start a thread specific to your method. Permaculture to the nth degree???

Let's find out if it works first. :D I just hate weeding! I figure if a weed can grow in that spot, then why can't I grow a plant there? I have enough space I can sacrifice yield, especially if I don't have to weed as much!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nope. Start the thread anyways. We can learn from the : "Oops, shouldn't have done that!" as well as the "I'm so brilliant, that I astound myself with my brilliance." ;) :old

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With regards to squashes... are they relatively easy to hand pollinate- with a small paint brush or something? You could try isolating a plant (or even just a couple of blooms) with paper bags or something and pollinate yourself. Take the bags off when the fruit starts to grow, and just make sure you remember which ones they are. I need to get into saving seeds more; I've only done the easy ones.