Pruning Fruit Trees

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks SO MUCH, pat and WolfKim!!! :hugs
Just like you, WolfKim, MY older apple trees hadn't ever been pruned, and I was afraid to do so, in case I killed them!! :ep
Then, I saw a program on RFD.tv called, California Agriculture, where the host suggested winter pruning for fruit trees. (Also, I have a gardening book that suggests pruning over the winter in my zone--zone 5.) Our winter will be abating by the 2nd week in March where I live, which is a few hours north of SubTropical. I've already pruned my 2 and 3 year old young fruit trees, and I'm about to attack my old apple trees--the links and pictures are very helpful--I copied them to Word, so that I can print them out and take to my "orchard." I also learned that this is the time of year to fertilize fruit trees. I've tucked the young ones in a blanket of soiled bedding (with plenty of straw) and circled my older trees at the "drip line" with the same. EVERY tree has plenty of buds, and looks healthy enough.
I am looking forward to a BETTER fruit year than 2009, which was dismal.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last Feb my neighbor volunteered to help my trees. They were all over grown and misshapen. I had pruned a bit here and there but they never had the proper shapes. He described it as a "crown". This way the tree was open in the middle so sunlight and air circulation could get to all branches.

He really pruned my trees, I cried. I had no fruit last year. But this year they all look amazing, have great shape and look so healthy.

I went out about 3 weeks ago and removed almost all of the new growth. branches pointing inwards, crossing over each other etc.. It was very easy to see what needed to come off and follow the shape he established.

Perhaps if you could have someone guide you the first time, then the following years would be easier.

Great picture, we have a ton of orange groves in the foot hills here. I often wondered how the trees became square.

g

ps everyone I know had a dismal fruit crop in 2009.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Most apple and pears tree fruit on very long lived spurs so you would only thin those out as needed. There are a couple of apples that I remember that fruit on short lived spurs ( I can't remember which apples- Spartan??)
Peaches fruit on year old spurs so need more pruning if you want the fruit to produce closer to the trunk of the tree rather than out at the end breaking down the branches with the weight of fruit.
Cherries (I have very few of these over the years) I have just pruned the heck out of to keep them small enough to put the bird netting on- otherwise it became a bird feeder and I never could get any fruit.

So you need to know what you have to prune right.

Almost everything I ever read about pruning said to do it in the winter. Until I read an organic gardening magazine article on summer pruning to maintain a small size. I tried it and it really worked. It kept trees that were growing in small spaces more managable.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well... how about this, lol I'll get some photos of my trees tomorrow morning and post them and see what you guys think.