pumpkin pie

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Anyone got a easy recipe for a pumpkin pie without the store bought pie filling???? i've never made one and just curious how easy this could be

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just add the same amount of your own pumpkin as would be from the can. I'm assuming you want to use your own cooked pumpkin. It turns out fine.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last time I made one from scratch I did just that. Baked, scraped then pureed the pumpkin meat. Substitute it right int the recipe.

:drool

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, just substitute fresh cooked pumpkin for the canned pumpkin. Forgot to add that :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and just so's ya know.. a small can of libby's is just a little over 1 3/4c pureed pumpkin. make sure you let the liquid drain out first so its not too soupy

:)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
and just so's ya know.. a small can of libby's is just a little over 1 3/4c pureed pumpkin. make sure you let the liquid drain out first so its not too soupy

:)
Very good point. I line a sieve with muslin (or a couple of layers of cheesecloth; a coffee filter would probably also do the trick), pour the pureed pumpkin in, and refrigerate overnight. You will be amazed at the amount of liquid that drains out! Save it for soup, but you don't want in your pie.

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I didn't realize you could use regular pumpkin for canned pumpkin....Thanks!