Pumpkin spice.

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day folks,I was looking at some recipes for the CEO and came across Pumpkin Spice,What is it ,or what is in it?

..........................................T.O.R................................

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Old Ram-Australia said:
G'day folks,I was looking at some recipes for the CEO and came across Pumpkin Spice,What is it ,or what is in it?

..........................................T.O.R................................
G'day Ram! I hope this helps, My English grandmother always insisted that the proper name for this was "Mixed Spice" here in the USA it is best named "Pumpkin PIE Spice. I looked it up in a couple of places and found that the spices included in the mix were Nutmag, Mace, Ginger, Cinnamon. Cloves and Allspice. Cinnamon was in both mixes, nutmeg/mace, ginger/cloves and allspice varied between the two companies and no one mentioned %s. Tell CEO Jenny that she should be able to figure it out from there!
What do shepards do in Autumn? Is this a busy season for you? How did you do with your foxes and hogs? I have had a warm winter without even a trace of snow. Good to see your TOR back on the forum. ~gd

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day ~gd,CEO thanked you for your post.Its called "mixed spice" down here also.Jenny has been going"flat out" making pickles , relish's and the like .We have had a "huge ' crop tomatoes, zucchinis,cucumbers and such,my office is starting to "overflow" (LOL) with boxes of "goodies".

On the farm front it has been busy,we have had 12 ins of rain since Xmas and the paddocks are a "joy" to behold,but as usual there is a downside "flt-strike and Barbers Pole".After being caught out in the Spring before last,I "narrow spectrum" drenched for BP in Nov and again in late Jan, which has reduced the likely impacts of any outbreak,on the fly-strike we only had less than half a dozen out of 400 hd get "struck" and the 2 breeder ewe's will be "culled" and the lambs carried over to grow out for next Spring market.I do wonder if there is a "correlation" between "high worm burden" and the susceptibility to strike?...That's one for the academic's on the forum.

A neighbor got a "hunter in" and cleaned up the "hog problem" which was good .The paddock damaged we got has "pretty" much repaired itself now.It's about now that the young foxes are on the move looking to "set up" their territory's so I will have to do a few night patrols and see if I can "clean them up".We are set to "lamb" later this year (1st week Nov) as last years trial (late Aug)was a "shade early" for our pasture growth cycle.Next month (Apr) I have to "shear" the Rams and the ewe's will be shorn at 70 days "in",this is also a little earlier than usual, but I read that it does appear to have some benifiets (or so they say).

.............................................T.O.R..........................................

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Old Ram-Australia said:
G'day ~gd,CEO thanked you for your post.Its called "mixed spice" down here also.Jenny has been going"flat out" making pickles , relish's and the like .We have had a "huge ' crop tomatoes, zucchinis,cucumbers and such,my office is starting to "overflow" (LOL) with boxes of "goodies".

On the farm front it has been busy,we have had 12 ins of rain since Xmas and the paddocks are a "joy" to behold,but as usual there is a downside "flt-strike and Barbers Pole".After being caught out in the Spring before last,I "narrow spectrum" drenched for BP in Nov and again in late Jan, which has reduced the likely impacts of any outbreak,on the fly-strike we only had less than half a dozen out of 400 hd get "struck" and the 2 breeder ewe's will be "culled" and the lambs carried over to grow out for next Spring market.I do wonder if there is a "correlation" between "high worm burden" and the susceptibility to strike?...That's one for the academic's on the forum.

A neighbor got a "hunter in" and cleaned up the "hog problem" which was good .The paddock damaged we got has "pretty" much repaired itself now.It's about now that the young foxes are on the move looking to "set up" their territory's so I will have to do a few night patrols and see if I can "clean them up".We are set to "lamb" later this year (1st week Nov) as last years trial (late Aug)was a "shade early" for our pasture growth cycle.Next month (Apr) I have to "shear" the Rams and the ewe's will be shorn at 70 days "in",this is also a little earlier than usual, but I read that it does appear to have some benifiets (or so they say).

.............................................T.O.R..........................................
G'day! dare I ask what Barbers Pole is on a family friendly website? An internal worm? How many Rams do you keep to get your lambs all in the same week? Are they good wool oroducers?I am thinking along the lines of ~gd's Ram service. We deliver a trailor load of rams for a week and the next week we are of to the next place. It would be a handy way to to start new crosses too...~gd

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH, ~gd,you are such a worry(LOL)...............

Barbers Pole is the "worst" internal worm in Sheep/goats and is the "major" cause of death in livestock.

Put the Rams in for a week!If only it was that easy,tell me ,when was the last time 30 or more of your "lady" friends cycled in the same week?...Apart from the "exhaustion factor" I do not think you would be able to "catch" them all.We use 4 to the 100 and leave them for at least 3 cycles,(say 63 days),This way we achieve almost 100% over the "lambing period".(remember we are joining 100's in a range-land setting) rather than 1 or 2 in a back-yard setting.

You may be interested in knowing we are trying a "new" out-cross this year with our "maidens",we have got 2 new black Headed Dorper Rams,the reason is to produce a "denser carcass" in our Suffolk lambs at a earlier age on grass without resorting to "hand-feeding.(its a whole "new" market segment we can "tap" into)

Anyway "good luck" with that "new" farming venture and those "lady friends"....................T.O.R...............................

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is my third attempt to write a reply. Get them done and when I hit preview they just disappear. It was your fault! When you mentioned a week in November I thought you meant that they all dropped their lambs that week. I am a duck man and any given nest does all hatch at the same time. I dont know nothing about birthing no Lambs [ref: My second favorite line from the classic movie Gone with the Wind]. As for my 30 lady friends I never had more than 2 [I think 30 is just Aussie BS] However I grew up in a college town and the male wolves claimed that by the end of the school year entire sorority houses would be on the same point on the cycle. They used to keep charts as to who was hot and who was a waste of time this week. Dont know if it was true or not, and am too old to care.
Actually I did get invited to take part in a new farming venture recently. They wanted me to produce duck eggs for a new co-op. I am going to pass on the offer, not half as good as Rams on Wheels! ~gd