Purple Martins and other wild friends.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
There's not enough bat droppings to collect! Too bad! They don't even equal up to one big chicken poo.
You can buy or make a bat house, maybe they'll hang around much more. Many people place something under their bat house to collect the guano, just make sure that it's not shiny and reflects light up into the house or it will disturb the bats.

Bats, like a very similar set up to purple martins. They like to be up high(around 15 feet) and away from everything else. That's why purple martin set ups will be out in the middle of a field. They feel threatened if too close to trees, buildings, wires, etc because it gives owls and other predators a place to roost or climb. The reason most people don't attract bats or martins to their 'bat' or 'martin' houses is because they are but in the wrong location. I've read at multiple sources that bats and martins can live on the same poles without interfering with eachother. I sure hope so! I hope to have plenty of both. :)

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My SIL in Santa Rosa, CA had her husband build a bat house, and they mounted it WAY up on the side of their house. He built a long chute that reaches from the bat house down to a few feet from the ground. They collect the guano for their garden, and said that everything grew fanTAStically! Anyone have one? I was reading on the internet how to build one - it doesn't look hard. Then you just have to hope that the bats decide they like it!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Very cool! I have to admit though, I read that as Purple Martinis the first time.... it's been a long week and it's only Tuesday! :rolleyes: