push mower leaf vacuum

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to take a regular push mower and make it into a leaf mulching vacuum. I am assuming that it can not be that hard. I am looking to mulch a huge amount of leaves but want to control the area they go to ( into a barrel or compost pile) not just have them spread all over the yard like normally happens when you mow over them. Also they are already in bags so I really don't want the extra work of having to rerake them. Any ideas?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I did a quick search and came up with this and this.

I also came across this. It uses a weed eater and a garbage can instead.

"Homemade Leaf Mulcher

You can create loads of rich mulch from your excess leaves and yard debris with a homemade leaf mulcher. Modify a couple items you may already have in your garage into a mulch production center to feed the exposed soil in your yard. Save money on buying bags of mulch to nourish your plants by using the resources around you to improve your environment.

Weed Eater
1. To make compost effectively, you need to chop raw plant materials into the finest pieces possible. Give your weed eater enough bite to break up almost any leaf and twig by replacing the nylon cord cutter with a more effective option. Check the manual on your specific weed eater model for any specifications on changing from cord to blades. Look in your local hardware store or online to find a three-blade weed eater replacement head that will fit your model. Choose a blade system that is made of a strong material intended for heavy duty use on brush and thick weeds. Find a brand that offers replacements blades for less than it would cost you to buy an entire new head when your blades wear down. Follow the directions to secure the new head so it will stay on during use. Test the function on a bush or patch of weeds and make any needed adjustments for optimum cutting.

Trash Can
2. Modify a plastic trash can and lid to serve as your mulching chamber for a clean contained cutting process. Place your weed eater in the empty trash can and measure the width of its post at the level where the lid will be. Lift the weed eater halfway out and measure again to be sure there is no variance in width. Use a reciprocating saw to start a cut in from the side of the lid to the center. Make a small hole in the center that measures slightly larger than your largest weed eater post measurement. Take the lid and fit it around the post of the weed eater about where the measurements were taken. Place the weed eater and lid onto the trash can and hold either side of the can's base with your feet to hold it in place. "