PVC Trellis

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back in April I put a PVC Trellis in the front yard. Here is the "Before Photo" of it.

April302009FromDrivewayemail.jpg

This is how it looks today. Aug 11, 2009
81109Arch.jpg

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
It looks great! And what a beautiful garden!

Is that real grass in the pathway?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, a few months ago I put in artificial grass. Which I got for FREE by calling a company to see if they had any scrap pieces. My front walk used to be flagstone and dichondra. But our water bills were getting just to high to keep the dichondra green.

Here is how it looked a couple summers ago with a Sunflower and Morning Glory Arch.

Sept302007Archemail.jpg

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
It looks great that way too! Love the morning glories! Would dichondra grow in zone four? I recently made an arbour but I haven't planted anything to go on it, but you've helped me make up my mind.. Morning Glories!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Oh.. and what kind of vine is growing on the building to the right?
That is Algerian Ivy. I grows here in the desert, iff kept pretty much in the shade during the summer.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is a beautiful setup! I was wondering....did you have to wrap wire around that arch to encourage the vine to climb or did it climb the pipe anyway?

I would love to incorporate something like this over my gates into my yard but felt that the pvc would be too smooth for vines to get a purchase on.

Mind if I steal your idea? :D Is it pretty stable in high winds?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
That is a beautiful setup! I was wondering....did you have to wrap wire around that arch to encourage the vine to climb or did it climb the pipe anyway?

I would love to incorporate something like this over my gates into my yard but felt that the pvc would be too smooth for vines to get a purchase on.

Mind if I steal your idea? :D Is it pretty stable in high winds?
So far it is stable, due to the rebar and supports that my huband had me add to it. We had 40+ MPH winds and it is just fine.

The vines needed a bit of help when it first starts to curve. I used a bit of raffia to tie them up.

If I made another one, I think I would somehow make the arch "double" , with two arches maybe a foot or so apart. It would take twice the amount of PVC stuff. That would make it more stable, and easier to wind the vines back and forth between the two arches. I don't know if you can visualize what I am thinking in my brain. Maybe if I do another one in the futrue, I will be able to improve on the desigh.

and sure, you can "steal" the idea. I hope if you do it will be even better than mine!

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thats a great idea! I got a bunch of old pVC that was recycled from someones old sprinkler system Im going to use it to build my new grape arbor.

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very nice arch. One of the strongest building constructs known to man, you know.
I love how it grew up. I find the look of raw PVC a bit stark for my tastes. You may wish to soften it by painting the raw PVC black or dark brown in the future.

Latest posts