Q about metal chimney-flue caps in windy areas

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You know what I'm talking about, the little sort of house-roof-shaped metal thingy that sits on your furnace or fireplace flue atop your chimney and keeps rain and birds out?

One of ours blew off in the really high winds earlier this week (so THAT's what the thump at 3:07 a.m. was!) and due to its generally corroded state was not salvageable even after I discovered its final resting place in the juniper bushes.

I have been driving all around this morning trying to get a new one but the only two I can find do not *clamp* onto the flue tile the way the old one did, they just have the four legs that sit inside the flue kind of curved so that spring-tension holds them in there.

My question is, does anyone out there IN A WINDY LOCATION have a similar flue cap that they happen to know whether it is clamp-on or just tension-fit, to give me an idea of whether the just tension-fit ones are likely to stay put?

Thanks, I realize it's kind of a longshot that anyone would happen to know this about their chimney but if not here then where else LOL

Pat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We have a tension fit model, and it blew off once during a micro burst. It may have been because we had not put it in place securely after our Spring flue cleaning, though. Before that, we had wind of about 95MPH when a tornado passed close by, and it hadn't blown off.

To be safe, I drilled a small hole near the top of our flue and threaded a pieces of stainless steel wire through it to keep it from happening again.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
THANK YOU, I knew someone would come thru, and in less than ten minutes to boot! LOL

Very much appreciated, I went ahead and installed a friction-fit one and will hope for the best.

Pat

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Our spark arrester flue cap is held on with three sheet metal screws.