Q for Lighthawk/others: generator hook-up

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lighthawk, you once posted:
lighthawk said:
I have a Briggs and Stratton 5550 watt 30 amp generator extended run (holds 7 gallons of gas and runs 13 hours). More than enough to power my three bedroom ranch home and the well. I have an electric water heater that I cannot leave on when using the generator but I can shut everything else off and power the water heater, it draws 5000 watts by itself I also do not use the dryer while running the generator.
I ran 60 amp service to my shed last summer and set it up so that I can plug it in out there and power the house without having to listen to it all night running next to the house (main electric box is right outside my master bedroom) I like my sleep and I rarely sleep more than 8 hours so the extended run model is more than adequate. Most have a 4 gallon tank and I would have to set my alarm to get up and fill it.
Other than that it is easy to start, reliable (so far, knock wood) and more than adequate for my needs.
Cost was about $750.00.
I bought it online at Generators Direct a few years back.
Do you know of a decent web site that shows the circuitry (including switch types and placements/wiring) for this option - by whch I mean the option to shut off from the public grid and hook your house up to the generator power?

I'm a DIY guy. I can do the work and, of done okay, can get a local electrician to inspect/improve it.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wooops! an attempted edit went weird. Ignore... :rolleyes:
Question (OP) still stands, though.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sorry Joel. Wish I could help but I had a friend who is a contractor do the installation with my help. I did not install a transfer switch. Therefore I have to manually disconnect from the grid by throwing the main breaker before I power the generator. I will attempt almost anything DIY... EXCEPT electric.
I probably know just enough about it to fry myself.

:ep

Good luck.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lighthawk said:
Sorry Joel. Wish I could help but I had a friend who is a contractor do the installation with my help. I did not install a transfer switch. Therefore I have to manually disconnect from the grid by throwing the main breaker before I power the generator. I will attempt almost anything DIY... EXCEPT electric.
I probably know just enough about it to fry myself.
Thanks for the reply. I assumed you'd have to switch off the main breaker (i.e., from grid power) - not sure how you wire the generator in, in order to conduct the power from the generator into your breaker panel.

Probably simple, but i would not like to try to re-invent the wheel on it. Would like to find a wiring diagram, supplies list, and verbal (or youtube-type) explanation.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can't help you with a diagram but I do recall buying a 220V 30A Breaker. Weatherproof female four prong outlet, Two male four prong plugs (for the pigtail). I don't recall what gauge wire I purchased for the pigtail and the connection from the outlet to the breaker box but they should be able to tell you what you need at the electrical outlet store where you purchase the hardware. They can probably advise how to wire the pigtail at the store as well.
Since you need to have someone come out to inspect it You might want to put everything else together on your own then have them make the final connection inside your breaker box. Might only cost you a half hour of their time and provide you years of peace of mind.
I refuse to touch anything with live 220V. 110V can poke you pretty good... 220V can kill ya.
That is part of the reason it is so hard to find anyone willing to provide DIY information. 99.9% of the time they advise you to hire a licensed electrician.
Good luck

S

sunsaver

110 VAC can kill you just as easily as 220, especially if you are grounded. You should never do any wiring unless all power has been disconnected. I'm willing to advise anyone on electrical wiring how to, but only after the power has been cut at the pole or the meter base has been removed. I have been known to dig around inside live service boxes and change out breakers, etc. But i would never recommend any DIY folks start out with a live breaker box.
Aside from the manual trip the breaker/ crank the generator; a transfer switch and generator with automatic ignition would be the ideal set up. I have a manual transfer switch between solar power and generator. They can never be connected at the same time because it's an OR switch. The gen powers the house and charges the solar batteries at the same time.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
110 VAC can kill you just as easily as 220, especially if you are grounded. You should never do any wiring unless all power has been disconnected. I'm willing to advise anyone on electrical wiring how to, but only after the power has been cut at the pole or the meter base has been removed. I have been known to dig around inside live service boxes and change out breakers, etc. But i would never recommend any DIY folks start out with a live breaker box.
Agreed.
I have worked with with 110V after insuring the breaker for that circuit is off. That is as far as I go.

Latest posts