Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I totally agree with Bee and FF. DH and I are in our early 40's. We are really the only couple our age that we know who enjoys growing and putting up our own food and having chickens for eggs.

While most women I know are looking for shoe sells, I look for canning or gardening supplies.

Keep talking up your farm. Older folk, especially those who have children who aren't interested in farming, will provide you with lots of advice and sometimes useful stuff. It makes them feel that at least someone of our generation is carrying on the old ways.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Occasionally you might just make a little connection with someone.

Last night we went to find a replacement window for our camper and while hubby was talking windows - I asked about a (different not new) bed liner for my mobile broiler chicken trailer (which is the back of a pickup truck with a camper). When the lady at the family owned camper/trailer sales found out I had chickens she was all talking and smiles. She has three barred rocks of her own. She had no bed liner that would work, but we left with an incredible buy on our window!

I think it is important to connect with others like us. We each have different experiences and a lot to share and learn. The old timer are definitely the best source of knowledge - but even a younger person may have something to share.

What we are doing is IMPORTANT in this crazy world we live in. Stand proud and tell the world!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
The elderly gentleman who did the brush hogging with his walk behind brush hog reminded me a lot of my Grandpa (who passed away a year ago) and I know my Grandpa was a walking talking book of know how!

I'm amazed at the number of people who don't appreciate the elderly around them and the know how that these people have!

So something else I'm thinking about getting....a sickle??? was looking at one in the Lehman's catalog...they said it's for harvesting corn but you can use it for other things....I'm thinking about it for cutting our hay...I can do that right? Cut my hay by hand? Last year we cut with a weedeater, but the weedeater took a permanent vacation, so I'm thinking sickle? Hmmmm....

Anyhoo....morning is off to a good start! Jeep is fixed! DH was proud of me for buying the part I needed (and I didn't get any guff from the part store!) and I assisted him in the repairs the other day.

Chirpy now has 3 chicks! Out of 7 eggs....Not sure that the other 4 are going to hatch or not, but we'll give her a few days. She has 2 silkie crosses (one I think is actually her own chick) and one Mille Fleur/Antwerp cross...and it's adorable! So far looks like an Antwerp with feathered legs!

Bunnies are doing well, and my singleton kit, the white with black spots, well, we're keeping him. *sigh* I know I know, don't get attached...but well, the 3 black ones are going to the canner....but this one is just soooooooo sweet and is our first *success* story with a kit being born and raised here. Usually, I have a hard time keeping rabbits alive!! Even if they have food/water and shelter, my rabbits would kick the bucket! This time, I've had a much better go at it!

We acquired a mini fridge for FREE...not sure if I had told ya'll that....anyhoo...it's going in the mini barn for keeping eggs....told DH if we don't get it hooked up soon and used, then I'll be turning it into a cabinet incubator :gig I thought he could use the incentive to make room in the mini barn for said fridge :gig

A friend shared plans with me on how to build a hoop coop out of two cattle panels. So that's on the "project" list. Not sure when we'll get to that, though, have other more important things to finish before DH goes in for back surgery (which we still don't have a date for! :barnie )

Today is very overcast and looks like we are finally going to get that rain we need!

Going tonight to pick up five muscovies (a pair for me, a pair for my mom, and an extra drake for the auction!) and a pair of Khaki/Buff Call ducks. The person we are getting them from has a pair of Mandarin ducks that I badly want, but I told him I am not set up for them right now. He offered to hold on to them for awhile to give me time to get set up for them!! Soooo....if I can get a pen built for them, I might be adding a pair of Mandarins to the barnyard....we'll see though. That's not on the list of must haves, and they wouldn't have a real purpose, other than to look pretty lol

Mom has agreed to talk to her neighbor about his pigs and find out how much he'll be selling his piglets for! Looks like I might get to learn how to render lard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Aly, do you mean a scythe? I got one last spring, and I love it. I mow my pasture with it. It takes some practice, and I mowed for about an hour each morning for about a week to finish the pasture. It works better in wet grass, imagine that! Since most tools seem to be made for a six foot tall man, I splurged and got a customized European scythe from Scythe Supply Company. They ask for a bunch of body measurements and then make the handle just for your height, so the angle of the blade is correct when you swing the scythe in a relaxed stance.

I figure the money I spent is what it would cost me to have my field mown once here in suburbia. I am watching closely, and am anxious to do my first mowing this year. Last year, I mowed a lot of mature goldenrod and dried it and brought it in for goat bedding. The silly things stayed in for a week eating the goldenrod that they'd ignored in the pasture! So this year I will mow it and dry it and store it as hay for winter. My pasture is pretty poor, so there won't be much.

You do have to be sure that no people or animals are nearby when you mow, as the correct swing is rather wide.

I am still trying to get the hang of sharpening it with a hammer and sharpening stone.....ooo, I should put that in my ss skills list. I did get it sharper last month when I worked on it in anticipation of spring growth.

Using it properly requires a twisting of the body, it might end up being your job, not dh's, with his back surgery and all. So you might also want to look at the custom ones, depending on how tall you are. There are some video's out there in cyberspace that can give you an idea of the movement. An incomplete movement will make you pretty sore, too, so I'd caution against your dh doing any scything anytime soon.

eta: videos: http://www.themaruggcompany.com/faqhelpvideos.htm

lots of great info on scythes and other tools: http://www.scythesupply.com/outfits.htm

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
DUH! SCYTHE! Yes, Free, that's what I mean. And yes, it will be my job, no way do I want DH doing that bending and twising!

Thank you for the links! I appreciate the information you're sharing!

We have a nice thick pasture, and year ago DH's family used to cut hay where we have our house now. In fact, I do believe they cut the whole 7 acres off for hay...or at least the top part where we have our home and outbuildings. Where our "woods" are now used to all be cleared field, and they cut hay and planted corn...etc...DH and his family used to own a total of 30 acres here, but now it's just 12. They sold off the other lots when DH's mom died.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
When we bought our camp up north, there was a scythe in the camp. Hubby use it to clear brush, and clear trails. I never tried it myself, and he built up quite a sweat doing it, but it isn't unobtainable. Good money spent on a good hand tool, will still be better than buying machinery and then having to fuel it. How many acres of hay do you have? Also, things to consider when doing it by hand are that the hay needs to be turned to dry on the other side, and then baled. Are you going to do that by hand too? I saw on that PBS pioneer show, that theywould just rake it into a big pile--not sure on all the facts, as it was years ago.

As far as a local market to tap into--you'd be surprised how many local people want farm raised stuff--they just don't know where to get it. I am finding this out right now. so you just have to get the word out there. flyers at feed stores/grocery stores, dentist and Drs' offices. Internet ads on kijiji or craigslist Freecycle cheapcycle. And word of mouth is a biggie. That man you talked to could be a great news spreader for you, or people like him. Add on to your website, and print out some business cards and drop them off at local places you visit. think about a workshare program (although this could have drawbacks too.) Where they work for a great deal on what they want to buy. Just rambling off some thoughts. (I'm thinking of a stable I know of where people could keep their horses for cheaper or free board if they helped out around the farm, such as painting barns, yardwork, fence and pasture management, mucking out stalls, etc.)I definitely think local markets need to be tapped into. I know I seek out local sources for my stuff, but like I said, I had a difficult time finding local sources. (still looking for local raw milk) I have faith that your goal is obtainable.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yes, missthenorth, we plan to do everything by hand with our hay. Right now I've got about 2 acres that we'll be cutting by hand. Hoping to expand it to 4 acres soon.

We're talking about building a pole barn, just not sure how soon, and just stacking the hay in the loft. Until then, we just plan to rake it all in big heaping haystacks.

Another thing I want is one of those lawnmowers like the Amish use. I figure, why have something I have to buy gas for?! :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I strongly recommend getting a really good scythe if you are serious about mowing by hand. Yes, you will use a lot of muscle and sweat using an old American scythe with a curved handle. Those were sold very cheaply (think Walmart type) and are very plentiful. But they don't hold an edge so you have to use muscle to cut with them. And they are heavy and not balanced.....cheap and poorly designed. With a balanced tool and very sharp blade, it is just the weight of the tool and the swing that cuts......grass, that is.

When I rode horses for a living, I always checked whips for balance, since that tool was to be in my hand all day, it needed balance. You wouldn't believe the whips out there, cheap and expensive, that have no balance in the hand and will tire you out. The same with saddles and boots. I always spent money on what I would be using for hours. As I get older, I need to go easier on my poor ol' body. So I urge you to consider your goals and needs and invest.

Save money on tp and feminine supplies and grow and forage your food, and spend money on tools that will last for decades and even be passed on to your kids.

:old :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"A friend shared plans with me on how to build a hoop coop out of two cattle panels."

Can you tell me a bit about this??? I have a few panels a neighbor gave me. Trying to figure out what I can re purpose them as. Thanks g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do a quick search on "chicken tractors" and you will see lots of really cool ideas! I am thinking of making one for my turkeys, since they won't stay in my fence, all 35 lbs of Mr Tom can jump a four foot fence!