Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I had two chicks hatch out over night, and I have at least 3 more pips! WHOOT!!

Two of the eggs pipped are from Becca...one is a Langshan and the other one is either an Australorp or another Langshan, not sure.

The other pip is one of my own mutt bantam eggs.

I had at least 6 due to hatch this weekend, and ducks due next weekend, and more chicks due to hatch pretty much all week long because I was adding eggs daily back in January...yea bad I know...staggered hatches...lol

The two that have already hatched - 1 is a beautiful little Black Australorp and the other is a Splash Langshan! :th I was expecting a Black Langshan, but I completely forgot that Becca has a blue langshan hen in with her blacks...I emailed her this morning and said, "I think this one Langshan egg was actually a Columbian Wyandotte" because when the chick was wet, she looked clean legged and rose combed.

Once she dried off, tho, and I got a closer look, I noticed fluffy yellow feathers down her legs and a single comb! :woot Splash Langshan! I hope she's a girl! Guess I'll have to keep her.....HAHAHAHA

And guess who I caught peeking in at the new babies, even though he's gripped about my having eggs in already?! ;) :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
New babies!!! No wonder we haven't heard from you in a couple of days....I was starting to get worried about you and now I know it was just chicken love that had you busy! :D

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't receive an email from you. :( But the hatches sound great. A Splash Langshan would be great! Can I have it back? LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I didn't receive an email from you. :( But the hatches sound great. A Splash Langshan would be great! Can I have it back? LOL
Well, uh, first response is NO....second response is....we'll talk about it. LOL

I emailed your work email.

Yep, chicken love, and not much time to get online during the day during the week with the kiddo's new school program. By the time we're done with lessons and I have chores done, I just wanna veg out and watch TV. :p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Aww....babies are everywhere these days! How come no one is waiting for spring??

PS...I don't even know what a splash langawhatchamacallit is....gonnna go look it up.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I don't know either Dace but you can bet it's cute! :love Is it still super cold up by you guys Quail? We're not supposed to get above freezing for at least 10 days yet... :barnie

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Funny, when I talked to Meyer Hatchery today, they didn't know what Langshans were either!!

I took a couple pics. They are absolutely the cutest babies I've hatched yet! whoot! I love 'em! (much more than them pigs! who are starting to S T I N K btw, even tho it's C O L D out!)

They're pretty much calling for snow up here where I live for the rest of February. :( I think this is the worst winter ever, in the history of winter's that I've experienced in Ohio.

'Course, next winter, I'll have forgotten what this winter was like, and I'm sure I'll be thinking next winter is the next winter ever.

I told E I'd like to move to Alabama.....warm sun and sand...ya know? then on the news today, we saw that Mobile, Al got SNOW! omg!!

Forty-nine of the US States have received measurable snow - Hawaii is the only state that didn't get any measurable snow!

Ugh what a winter!

Still....I'm all for moving to Georgia or Alabama......sheooot, I might even be willing to suffer in a home in Florida....anything or anywhere that there's NO SNOW. :p

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
We lived in Birmingham, AL 10 years ago and it snowed. Everything shut down for two days! Maybe it's a 10 year curse or something. At least hopefully the chicks will take your mind off some of the whiteness. Do you brood them in the house?

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Oh - brooding the chicks lol - well, my husband said absolutely positively no more brooding chicks in the house...period.

So I've had the chicks in the incubator all day, trying to figure out where outside I can fix something up where they'd be warm, because all this snow was NOT in my plans.

So, I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Then, my I-Like-To-Pretend-I'm-Not-A-Softy hubby surprised me with a heat bulb for my heat lamp :lol: He said he figured I'd need something more than a regular bulb for when I bring the brooder in, since my chicks were hatching. :lol:

So, yes, they're brooding in the livingroom, in a rubbermaid clear tote. :)

Here's the couple pics I took...The yellow chick is the Splash Langshan. You should be able to see her feathered legs. :love Aren't they beautiful?!

SplashLangshanChick2.jpg

SplashLangshanChick.jpg

BlackAustralorpChick.jpg

And, we still have 3 pipping in the 'bator, so hopefully 3 more chicks tomorrow! :weee