Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yea, I asked about her car since she said it wouldn't start last week, and she said it's fixed and they have the money to come up. She just won't tell me when they are coming.

Yep, :celebrate I found my goslings!! They are adorable!!!!!!!!

Hmm....I should be getting pics!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
My geese accepted the goslings as their own!!!!!!!! Er, actually I truly think they thought their own eggs hatched and that I was stealing goslings from them! It wasn't even dark out! It was still broad daylight!!

The gander came charging at me, wings fluffed out, breathing smoke and flames! (No joke!) I couldn't decide if I should drop the goslings, or run with them...I chose the latter......MISTAKE! Gander gave chase!

I turned back the duck shed and deposited both goslings at the edge of the nest and made ready to make a break for it, but I couldn't get out! Mr. Goose was standing in the door, all fluffed up screaming obscenities at me as his "wife" hurriedly tucked both goslings under her wings and then she joined in with the chorus of screams to get me out of their shed.

Little while later we went back out to the duck shed to see how "Mama" and the new babies were, and the Proud Papa was standing watch as the goslings were snuggling under Mama's wings....and once again he went into attack mode and this time I got bit! He has never bit me before, but he's become super dad within minutes!

They were both so happy to have those goslings, it made me wish I could have brought them more!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know it isn't right bit I was totally cracking up with the mental images. It was something like this :weee only minus the smiley face. How fantastic that the adoptive parents were so receptive. :clap

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I'm glad you found babies that the geese will raise. Hopefully their eggs will hatch next time. ETA: I could just picture you trying to dodge that gander. LOL

Your incubator is working well for me. 20 out of 28 eggs hatched as of this morning. :celebrate

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! What a mental picture I have!!! I can just picture those geese getting all fired up cause you stole their babies, you mean woman!

I've been bitten by a goose before, not fun!

Congrats!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think this is an exact reason as to why I am afraid of Geese. I would have high tailed it the other way real quick!!!. Congrats on the new family!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I may have jumped the gun on buying those goslings!!!!! Mother Goose has not left the nest and so we snuck an egg into our very dark bathroom and candled it....there's a gosling very close to full term in it!!!!!!!

There is also another egg that is very much rotted!!

We are going to candle all of the eggs tonight and remove the definite bad ones. We'll let the ones that had obvious development stay for a few more days, just to see...because I am telling you, that egg we candled was FULL of gosling!!!

Papa Goose has been out all day with the two babies and already took them out on the pond! He won't let anyone get close to the babies at all! It's so cute to watch how proud he is strutting his stuff around. :)

We got the check for the goats today. Elroy brought in less than half of what Nan did! We weren't too disappointed, though, as the check isn't too shabby at all!!

I managed to get an adorable picture of my singleton rabbit kit today. This is the only surviving baby from the first litter of kits, because Mama ate the other two for reasons unknown to us. I only have 4 baby bunnies left out of 11. Sadly, on the two nights when we had cold temps, one buff bunny lost her entire litter. I am not sure if she kicked them out or if they had just wandered out, but I found them outside of their nest cold. The other Mama lost 3 of her 6 babies on the cold nights. Her remaining 3 are doing just fine.

Here's the pic of the singleton kit. He looks just like his mom!

bunnykit.jpg

And here's a pic of Mother Goose and her adopted goslings....

mamagoose.jpg

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had a Toulouse goose a couple years ago (before taken by a coyote...)

She wanted to be a mom SOOOOO bad. She built a nest, and carefully sat on 3 of her own eggs, some chicken eggs that she scrounged, and a plastic egg out of one of the nesting boxes.

I also brought home a couple of Cornish X chicks that were hatched by my daughter's school class. Those chicks, not being able to roost, sat pretty close to the floor, and the next day, Dora had adopted them!

The funniest thing was when she tried to teach the chicks to wade into her little pool of water....